Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo or supercharger?

turbo or super charger??

• turbo

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • super charger

Votes: 31 70.5%

• Total voters
S

scared_

what are your thoughts and turboing or spuercharging a v6 vp, i've looked everwhere on the internet for a turbo kit and cant find anything im capable of making everything but it would be eaisier to but a kit, has anyone done this or know about it. on the other hand supercharger kits are avalable from castlemain rod shop(in vic) and Capa preformance. i've heared that superchargers are more reliable and the power will always be there insted of having turbo lag and waiting for boost. i've driven mates turbos, R33 and a twin supra they go alright both at 10 lbs will a supercharger keep up with that? what boost and exhaust is best to run too. will the engin need rebuilding, its on 190,000 km. im trying to get some info before i rush into this, wont happen till around the end of the year.

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
you can supercharge your car using a CRS system with everyhthing left stock abr and exahust and mabye some extractors, they oput out about 2.5-4psi enough for a kick in the pants, you can get smaller pully's which require some fuel system attention and mabye a cooler, but you cant spin these chargers (off 1ggte engines) faster than 10 psi as the teflon coating starts coming off the rotors,
the biggest problem with building a turbo kit is epa, to get it fully tested pass or fail dont expect much change from 3 and a half grand. or you could run the risk of getting defaulted. with the capa kits using the vortech superchargers you do need engine work or other wise after a while things will decide to give up.
you should look at a rebuild on your motor, mabye a stroker kit 4.2lt, or just an acl race rebuild, touhgen her up, then get the drive line sorted then down the track get some forced inductino happeneing

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
it depends what you actually want to do with your vp...if its just your daily driver and you want a relitively no hassle performance boost you'd supercharge it...it would have a good instant performance increase through the lower and mid range revs but no where near as much top end power as a turbo.
if you wanted a real drag weapon (or even i dare say drift car) you would turbo it, but you'd expect alot more f*ckin around than with a supercharger.
and yes, either way you really should rebuild your engine, using forged blower pistons, o-ringed block and copper head gasket etc..

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I voted 'supercharger', mostly because of the ease of installation, and flat power curve. Especially with large-capacity engines, you don't want to be accelerating out of a corner in the wet, when the car suddenly comes onto boost at 4000rpm, ripping the road out from underneath you. I've heard driving the new turbocharged porches can get pretty pointless for the same reasons - you think you've got them under control, then they come onto boost and you're pointing the other way. And that's with 12" wide rear tyres or whatever they have.

And as stated above, a blower involves a lot less fart-assing around to get in working order. You don't have to worry about fancy exhaust manifolds, and because your induction air isn't flowing right next to your exhaust, you don't have to be quite -as- concerned with intercoolers and whatnot.

That said, turbos are a huge kick to drive. I've spent a fair bit of time behind the wheel of an R33 GTS-T, and I tell you, it's an absolute pleasure to drive. When it comes onto boost, it snaps your neck back and takes off. The only shame is when you want to give it bags coming out of a corner, and you're in any gear other than first, you can be sorely disappointed with the complete lack of low-end torque.

Something like a supercharged statto on the other hand, will lay down rubber no matter how fast you're going, or what gear you're in. Flog it, and it's waiting to take off. There and then.

Well, there's my rant, full of opinions, and lacking any facts. Anyway, it's personal preference - but my preference would be toward superchargers. I think that's want the point of this poll was.... I'm so lost.

>.<

covert77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina
agreed on the flatter power curve. the vp has a fairly gutsy top end anyway, but a turbo would enhance this. i'm also thinkin of installing that capa supercharger kit when i'm off my P's. as far as a iknow, they take care of most of all installation and supply most of the required upgrade parts.
i reckon that kit with around 215-240 kw would be pretty mad and would smoke quite a lot of cars on the road. (it has a better power/weight atio than an ss) as for the supra and skyline???????????? no idea.

B

billbill

supercharged VX Acclaim

Hi (am new here) am trying to get a price on a VX Acclaim 2000 supercharged factory job... rare beast. I want to sell as a private sale. It has 110000Km and is in good cond. It was made for a GHM exeuctive.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
covert77 said:
agreed on the flatter power curve. the vp has a fairly gutsy top end anyway, but a turbo would enhance this. i'm also thinkin of installing that capa supercharger kit when i'm off my P's. as far as a iknow, they take care of most of all installation and supply most of the required upgrade parts.
i reckon that kit with around 215-240 kw would be pretty mad and would smoke quite a lot of cars on the road. (it has a better power/weight atio than an ss) as for the supra and skyline???????????? no idea.

VN/VP/VR lack top end. Especially VN S1, but the VN S2 and onwards still die in the ass after around 4,500rpm

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
i voted turbo after i saw the vs in this months street commy mag, 9 sec, thats pretty fast, but would imagine it would cost alot more than s/c it, but i would probally s/c mine if the P plate laws wearn't in nsw, so i wouldn't really know what 2 pick, good luck with the decision

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
I'd go with superchargers..not because i'm biased as i have a supercharger on my car. It's because you can get superchargers that don't wear unlike turbos.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
If its a toss up between a Castlemain kit and a turbo I'd say the turbo any day.

The castlemaine kit on your 3.8 will die off early in your rev range, leaving you with standard/ or less power. The charger will die sooner with more boost running through it over standard.

If you spend the money to get a decent supercharger to match your application I'd go with that.

But I'd suggest the turbo, with the correct choice of turbo you will be able to have boost from low in the reg range right through until peak. Not falling off like the little Toyota blower would. As for turbo's coming on boost and suprising you mid corner, if you've driven one you'll know that you can control the boost and it generally isn't that sneaky.