Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo project: beginning

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Just a few things, 200rwkw from a boosted 6 is going to cause one of two things a stuffed stocker or an expensive build up.
Another thing to think of, the shift kit doesnt provide any extra strength at all if only effects how it shifts.
Main question, how much do you know about turbos? Because runnin a T3 60 trim at 3psi is wayyyyyyyy out of the best efficiency on its efficiency map. Its way in to the left in the surge limit area which limits power and as the name implies cause the turbo to surge as you have too large a turbine wheel for the exhaust to keep speed up to spin the compressor wheel.
To make the power you want with that turbo you are lookin at in its peak efficiency you would be looking at around 10-12psi.
Search on the net and learn how to read efficiency maps, will help with your choice alot.
AirStrike :air:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
cheers airstrike, well im still learning, but fast... only really got into the mechanics of cars in the last year (i wasnt a idiot but never really played round with them), been playing with Engine Analyze Pro,

and as foam has pointed out to me already a AR.60 will spool too early
so im after a AR.80 turbine... i like doing things my self most of the time, and im still learning, especially in area's ive never had any experiance such as turbo's

i know 200rwkw will kill a stocker, but if you've checked recently they'res no shortage of them and they certianlly arnt expensive... infact im getting a third engine (s2 this time)

and im going to work that...

currently my engine mounts are stuffed and my flex plates need replacing due to excessive wear on the ring gear by a DODGY starter motor... ive got the flex plate already........

what can i do to make the engine handel the boost better??

stronger head gaskets??
new cam shaft?
forged pistons?

i want to just get the system running first, then worry about power... but to do that i need to make sure i have the right fundamentals, such as turbo selection... ive got a new hard copy of a turbo manifold... including measurements and with angles... gonna just check it over tommorrow then go get half of it made..........

i need some suggestions on where to buy a turbo from, so far ive been looking

www.ebay.com.au
www.calaisturbo.com

any other suggestions / if anyone see's a T3/4 with a AR.80 compressor please let me know as id be very intrested...

im looking to spend round $200-350, not expecting a new turbo, dont want a turbo with more shaft play than a 13 year old kid who discovered the internet....

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
cheers airstrike, well im still learning, but fast... only really got into the mechanics of cars in the last year (i wasnt a idiot but never really played round with them), been playing with Engine Analyze Pro,
Like I said if possible have a look and see if somewhere has a tutorial on ready compressor maps.
and as foam has pointed out to me already a AR.60 will spool too early
so im after a AR.80 turbine... i like doing things my self most of the time, and im still learning, especially in area's ive never had any experiance such as turbo's
Personally I would rather it spool early on a stocker. You have to keep in mind that most turbo cars are generally OHC setups which are more rev friendly, because I dont think I would want to have to rev it to at least 3500rpm before I see any boost.
i know 200rwkw will kill a stocker, but if you've checked recently they'res no shortage of them and they certianlly arnt expensive... infact im getting a third engine (s2 this time)

and im going to work that...
Lmao thats certainly true, most can be had for $300 max in good nick.
currently my engine mounts are stuffed and my flex plates need replacing due to excessive wear on the ring gear by a DODGY starter motor... ive got the flex plate already........
See to this first as boost will only destroy them quicker.
what can i do to make the engine handel the boost better??

stronger head gaskets??
new cam shaft?
forged pistons?
Depends what you want to spend. If your not going for a rebuild I would look at some thicker head gaskets to drop the comp ratio and most importantly the tune. No offence to any back yard tuners but I would use the backyard one purely to be able to drive it a pro to get a proper tune.
If your going a cheap rebuild track down some of the supercharged L27 rods from the states, some new low comp pistons and arp bolts thru out. Clean it all up and some new bearings and that has completed the short. Top end isnt all that important on a boosted application I would look at new valves thru out and some roller rockers. Maybe some slightly over sized exhaust valves to help with the turbo.
i want to just get the system running first, then worry about power... but to do that i need to make sure i have the right fundamentals, such as turbo selection... ive got a new hard copy of a turbo manifold... including measurements and with angles... gonna just check it over tommorrow then go get half of it made..........

i need some suggestions on where to buy a turbo from, so far ive been looking

www.ebay.com.au
www.calaisturbo.com

any other suggestions / if anyone see's a T3/4 with a AR.80 compressor please let me know as id be very intrested...

im looking to spend round $200-350, not expecting a new turbo, dont want a turbo with more shaft play than a 13 year old kid who discovered the internet....
You wont find a hi flowed T3 (T4 exhaust housing, T3 compressor wheel) for that coin. You would be looking at a stock T3 from somethink like a VL, early saabs (78-88 are oil cooled, 88-90 are water cooled), ect.
Have a look around on american ebay for some new ones. If you can save your money up there are a few brand new TO4E Turbo T3/T4's on there that you can get delivered to your door for around $450
Any other probs dont hesitate to ask.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
are you planning on using an external wastegate. or internal.. if you are going to use an internal wastegate. if will cost you a fair bit to get one with an AR or .80.. there are t3/t4 turbos on ebay. i payed too much for mine. i payed about 550 for mine when they were first on there. ya can get them cheaper now sometimes.. the fella i bought my manifolds off said if i wasn't chasing too much power to use a turbo off a vl.. but that would spool up pretty early. that why i bought a bigger one.. if you are going to rev your car to only 5500 you don't want the turbo spooling too late.. my ca18det in my pulsar revs to 7000 and starts to spool up at about 2500 i think. (i haven't driven it a while). at the moment it needs a good tune and the adjustable fuel reg put on it. so i have only been reving it to 5500. so that means ya only get 3000 revs where it spools and not all that 3000 is full boost.. it is hard to explain what i am trying to get to. but ya just ending up changing gears all the time.. i know you have an auto so it will be different..
i just reckon for a v6 ya want power fairly early..
i am thinking people might dissagree with what i am saying. as usually the later your turbo spools usually the bigger the turbo and the more power you will get.. but there is no point having power when you don't have the revs to use it with..
does any of that make sense..
i agree with airstrike about the 3 psi too.. i think i know what he means.. if i ran my pulsar on 3psi. it would be all over the place. it just wouldn't be worth driving.
most internal wastegates are set at about 6 to 8 psi. so i would stick with that..

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yeah the ACL copper headgaskets look nice..
you forgot to mention valve springs :p

ok im still trying to decide on a turbo
ill probbly slap a bigger turbo on it one day when the engines ready,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/t3-t4-t04e-t...5QQihZ003QQcategoryZ72478QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it worth bidding on these, foam said it would spool too early but if airstrike is correct then id want it spooling round 1500rpm reaching max boost round 3500-4000rpm??

EDIT: thats a externally gated turbo

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
yeah the ACL copper headgaskets look nice..
you forgot to mention valve springs :p
Cant remember everythin:D

ok im still trying to decide on a turbo
ill probbly slap a bigger turbo on it one day when the engines ready,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/t3-t4-t04e-t...5QQihZ003QQcategoryZ72478QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it worth bidding on these, foam said it would spool too early but if airstrike is correct then id want it spooling round 1500rpm reaching max boost round 3500-4000rpm??
up to you mate, but as defa said, you dont want something that doesnt start making boost till 3500 if your only going to spin the engine to around 5500 max (which is what you will be doing with stock internals). I personally would want something in the range of 2500-5000 give or take, plenty of power down low. If this was a V8 we were talking I would maybe say spool it up high due to the low down torque, but for a 6.............
EDIT: thats a externally gated turbo
Yadda Yadda word limit.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
i was lucky last night on a cruize i bumped into rarevp (turbo'd vp with 225rwkw)

he was able to show me his setup (using log headers)

he runs 10psi on a completely stock engine with just new injectors etc

oo thanks foam... that guys a shop looks like he sells lots of turbo's i might collect cash and bid on a good one

had a detour last night the auto bahn that is near me had a closing down sale.... 6x ngk spark plugs $10
the exhust tip i wanted $20, 5ltrs of oil like $10 lol, lots of other crap for cheap as...

they'res a turbosmart BOV ive got my eye on... everythings %50, but im gonna see if i can get it for under $200

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i know the rb30's are .8 of a litre smaller than a v6 but i was reading on another forum and some fella's had put t70's on there vl's and they didn't spool up till after 4000 rpm..

cracker

Reaction score
looks like an okay set up,
i would suggest using series one manifolds and turning them around piss off the air con and have them come around like your saying,
or you could get the series one manifolds and cut the big head fladge thing off and the buy some various lenghts bends of pipe and a docking saw thing with a grinder blade and start building tack welding the pipes together with small welds untill you have it looking how you want then get it mig'd by a pro. just my input