Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo project: beginning

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i know the rb30's are .8 of a litre smaller than a v6 but i was reading on another forum and some fella's had put t70's on there vl's and they didn't spool up till after 4000 rpm..

Yeah it's a big turbo for a RB30 but there's a guy local here with one on a Stock NA spec RB30 and pulls 260rwkw leaning out ! not sure on where it spools but the thing runs low 13s at 125mph? so it's fairly moving once it gets traction

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
cracker, it'd be a good idea except i dont own any welders...

well t70 it is then...should have the money in 2 weeks so ill buy it then,

i was gonna build the manifold first but i think it'd be a bad idea because i need to work out turbo placement first...

a auto bahn are having a closing down sale near me.. minimum of %40 off..

they'res a BOV in the window i have my eye on... its listed for $139...
but i recon i can get it for $50 or should i just get the turbo first?

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i see what you are saying greenfoam. that is pretty damn good. but how drivable it is for driving around the city and towns. it will be interesting. when i FINALLY get my car turboed with a smaller t3/t4 and when paradox has his car done with a t70. then we will both be able to compare which is more drivable. mine being manual i think i would rather it spooling earlier.. paradox having an auto might not matter as much spooling a little later..

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
one thing also about the t70's. if ya can get a cheap wastegate the turbo's seem to sell for a little less that internal wastegate turbos. so if they are chinese crap turbo's it won't be much to replace.. i think mine is one of those high quality chinese ones..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you can afford a brand called "Master power" get one of them, they are made in Brazil and are the best quality cheap turbo you can get

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I changed my mind about the T70 I'm not sure if the V6 will have enough mumbo to spin it properly so better to go back to the original plan and look for a T4Strim or something about that size

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
what is the ar of the s trim

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Not sure but the compressor map lines up good with the V6.

I was looking at the old VN today, I think I could get a turbo on there in a couple of days if I had the money for the map sensor and injectors. I'd just run the Y piece from the drivers side into the passenger header (fliped) and have a flange on the passenger header. Budget as but easy. I like easy :), should be good enough to run 13's with no cooler with a bit of water injection

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah i reckon that would be the go. looking back now i wish i had of gone that way. it would have saved me some cash.. but now i have my manifolds on i am happy.. i spose i did only pay 600 for the manifolds.. i still reckon paradox would be better off going for an internal wastegate. it makes it a little easier i reckon..