Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo v6 , l67 bottom end or rebuilt ecotech bottom end?

petezor

i like icecream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
hi guys what should i get done, use the l67 bottom end or the ecotech bottom end. what have you guys done. this is for a turbo setup with a t04e garrett turbo.

cheers guys:thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
just use your current one with some stronger gear. h-beam rods and forged pistons for starters. depends how much boost your going to run really. if your not planning on going anymore than 10psi, then an good condition L67 block could do.
but for piece of mind personally id be rebuilding the whole lot, so keeping yours and just using the right gear to handle boost would be my advice.

petezor

i like icecream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
im planning to run 10-15psi. i wanted a rebuild so dont mind paying out for it. just want to know what people have tried.

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
The Super 6 motor has more off the shelf parts than the N/A motors so people tend to go for them as they make 400hp stock.

ACL make a Forged piston for the super 6 which is a shelf item however they will do one off for the N/A motors on request. Have a chat to Argo about there new I beams they seem to be the best in oz from what i have read. Other than that just get the stok crank tested and ballanced etc and then treat it and it will be fine.

petezor

i like icecream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
ok sweet, im gonna hunt down a l67 box ecu + loom then. hopefully get it by end of feb *once i find one lol

skootaroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS wagon
From what I just read, the blocks and crank are the same. So if you are going to replace the rods pistons and pins anyway then it doesn't matter what engine you start with.
I see the injectors are mounted in the head to clear the S/C but if you are using a turbo then that won't bother you either.
Is there a flowrate difference in the heads?

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
From what I just read, the blocks and crank are the same. So if you are going to replace the rods pistons and pins anyway then it doesn't matter what engine you start with.
I see the injectors are mounted in the head to clear the S/C but if you are using a turbo then that won't bother you either.
Is there a flowrate difference in the heads?

You've hit the nail on the head there :) Just get a cheap ecotec block to build with decent rods and pistons as everything else is the same.
And as far as I'm aware, the heads are identical other than the injector ports in the super6 heads.

petezor

i like icecream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
i heard the super6 has forgies and decomp plate....

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
I think thay have the pistons coated and a thicker wall which is why the rods are shorter.

If you can get a super 6 motor cheap round 1500 - 2000 then just do a top end swap rebuild and use it untill it goes. as that about the price for a set of pistons.