Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo VS Ute

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Hey guys.
Here is the link to the first part of my build. There alot of useless stuff on there so I thought I would just start on a new thread with the conversion :)

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs/135157-5sp-vs-ute-first-car-d.html

Model:
Vs ute series III
260,000k on the body

Engine Type:
L67, supercharged v6 out of a WH stato
98,000k when i brought it

Engine Mods:
Full throttle customs carbon fibre cold air intake, 4' kn pod and intake piping
11psi zzp performance modular pulley

Power:
24/5/2012
245rwhp, 545nm torque

Exhaust:
- Pacemaker Extractors, cut at the ends a re welded with 2.5inch flange
- Twin 2 1/2 into single 3' out the back.
- twin magnaflow 2.5 cats
-Supercat resi at the rear

Gearbox:
Was getrag kow a t5
T5 5spd out of a vr ute
Balanced flywheel
Heavy duty clutch

Diff:
Fully rebuilt by AAD diffs ballcatta
28 spline,
minispool
3.9 diff gears

Body:
Fresh respray factory white
shaved torneu hooks and ariel
altezza headlights
ss bumper with lip and foglights
no badges
fresh tint all round, limo rear
Tubliner cut down and tucked under tub rails

Brakes:
Horrible

Wheels:
19' vandetta v2
Stockies........

Suspension:
Monroe gt lowerd shocks and struts
King springs super lows front ultra low rear
Polyairbag rear airbags
Adjustable parnhard rod
No bumpstops

Interior:
Stockish

Other Mods:
Dual core alloy radiator
Boost solenoid deleted
GM billet short shifter
Boost gauge

Stereo:
Full alpine system
Type s splits in doors
4ch amp
Tye s 12' sub in custom box under the tray
Alpine deck

Future Mods:
Mace A2A intercooler kit
1.9.1 rockers
5% OD balancer
ported blower
smallest blower pulley
billet fuel rails
040 intank pump

Well anyway iv owned the ute about 2 and half years know and it was my first car. Always loved t since the day I seen it. One day when I was cruising around I over took a car and gave her abit of stick and suddenly heard a tinging sound. Pulled over and the car had siezed. A couple of weeks later I pulled the motor out and found I had blown a piston to bits. Anyway life goes on. Ute sat there for a while I decided what to do with it and after a bit a research I decided to drop a l67 in :)
IMG_0393.jpg

6dcc8237.jpg

26b18c76.jpg

73999ebe.jpg

1989d198.jpg

The conversion went realy well no real dramas so far. The getrag 5sp is sounding shot noisy know so a t5 is on the cards. So happy with how she pulls know and you can't beat the whine to.
beccc8e3.jpg

23d8bf8a.jpg

b3f6617e.jpg

I don't have much access to a computer soni have to do most of it on my iPhone haha but i will get some more info and pics up abit later.

Cheers guys :)

Last edited:

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Took the ute down to woop ass lastnight and ran a best of 14.8 not bad for a stock motor I thought and the hot weather definitely didn't help. The gearbox isn't sounding to healthy know tho so I'm guessing that's on it's way out. Don't blame it, it's done just shy of 300,000km :) it will be replaced with a t5 out of my vr ute.

Future mods.
Whole car respray white again with a ss lip and sides skirts.
Boost upgrade
Mini spool and diff gears
Decent intake ( the open pod is not doing the motor any good in terms of cool

That's it for know until cash flow is abit better
000088b5.jpg

56df9897.jpg

6b8676f4.jpg

Cheers :)

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Took the ute down to woop ass lastnight and ran a best of 14.8 not bad for a stock motor I thought and the hot weather definitely didn't help. The gearbox isn't sounding to healthy know tho so I'm guessing that's on it's way out. Don't blame it, it's done just shy of 300,000km :) it will be replaced with a t5 out of my vr ute.

Future mods.
Whole car respray white again with a ss lip and sides skirts.
Boost upgrade
Mini spool and diff gears
Decent intake ( the open pod is not doing the motor any good in terms of cool

That's it for know until cash flow is abit better
000088b5.jpg

56df9897.jpg

6b8676f4.jpg

Cheers :)

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
looking mint man , how much did it end up to put the l67 in and match it to the manual gearbox , thinking of doing this to mine when im off my p's . Did you do the conversion yourself ?

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Cheers mate :)

Paid 2300 for the complete motor and all the other little bits probably made it up to about 2700 including re mapping the ecu. Yes I done all the work myself. Had some help from my auto electrician mate with the wiring. This is my first conversion and everything went sweet :) so stoked with it even on stock boost

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Cheers mate :)

Paid 2300 for the complete motor and all the other little bits probably made it up to about 2700 including re mapping the ecu. Yes I done all the work myself. Had some help from my auto electrician mate with the wiring. This is my first conversion and everything went sweet :) so stoked with it even on stock boost

thats sick as man , like i said thinking of going super 6 or raptor when im off my p's , just weighing up if i should go raptor (lazy way) and install it all by myself with out pulling engine out . and comes with a tune to suit and no wiring etc

Or l67 swap over where i would need to get like a mechanic to do it and such , with custom wiring , match engine to the t5 etc

hmmmmm

Leathal11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6spd Ute / VS 5spd L67 Ute III
looks real nice mate :) wish i took the time to clean up my engine a little better, but i needed it in haha as i didnt have a car :(

how have you gone about registering it? also what did it make at the wheels? not sure if you said or not lol

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Honestly go the l67. So much more room to improve over the raptor IMO. They are built for boost and from what I've read and seen they are bloody strong motors. Just stock I've pulled a few ss up to about 110. I am a floor and wall tiler apprentice and this is my first car. I've never done anything like this before and I done all the work my self with pretty much researching on this site :) give it a go man so much cheaper then the raptor and it's not very hard at all with the wiring and ecu re mapping.

Lethal: I haven't had it on the dyno yet only had my ecu re mapped.