Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo vs V8

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
vlv8vic said:
V8s generally have more torque. i kow VLs better than others so my example there is that a stock 5ltr VL has more torque than a turbo version. less rwkw though.
but hey, whats kilowatts when its torque that moves a car!
so is there an explanation for the reason behind the 5.0L VL having more torque but less rwkw?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i dont get what you mean, torque isnt really relative to kilowatts, so its hard to understand what you are asking.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
sorry mate. why does a 5.0L have more power at the flywheel, but less at the rear wheels? is there a reason?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
because the driveline is so long it loses a certain amount of power being driven to the wheels

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
v8's have better puling power
a 6 cycle (straight type turbo or a 4 cycle) wont have torque down lower
the v8 will redline to 6000rpm for example
the 4 cycle will redline at 8000rpm
the 4 cycle will weight less than the v8,
and the list can go on

a good way to put it, is if you had a huge bar, huge metal pipe or something, and you put it on yoru wheel nut, and you let it idle normaly, put it in gear, and you grab the metal bar, the amount of force you apply on the metal bar to prevent the car from moving is called toqure, it's the force required to move something, aka energy.

v8's generaly have bigger pistions than a 4 cycle, hence the bigger redline mark, the direct result of bigger pistions is more kw and more torque

a v8 in theory will be beaten of the line by a turbo, but a v8 will catch a turbo given the right lenght of road, it's all about power distribution, the higher the revs on a v8 the lease amount of torque and more amount of kw. where a turbo is the other way around.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
vs_5.0 said:
well my cousin has a Lancer Evolution VIII (turbo 4cyl) and he's beaten mildly worked 5 litres. A 2.0L Lancer with a turbo can beat a 5.0L V8. is it simply because the Lancer weighs a lot less, and the turbo gives it so much extra oomph, the Lancer easily beats the V8's?

I'd love to race your cousin in his buzzbox, goddamn pieces of **** lancer's....

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
mmm the main reason the buzz boxes beat me off the lights is becasue i cant seem to get traction off the start.....but as soon as i do they aint got a chance to catch me in the vn

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
minux said:
I'd love to race your cousin in his buzzbox, goddamn pieces of **** lancer's....

Ive been in an EVO 7 or 8 and my dad had a VT SS Gen 3. Ive got to say stock vs stock the EVO goes alot harder. Dads car was an auto and the EVO a manual and fresh of the showroom.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
angelo.vs said:
Ive been in an EVO 7 or 8 and my dad had a VT SS Gen 3. Ive got to say stock vs stock the EVO goes alot harder. Dads car was an auto and the EVO a manual and fresh of the showroom.

WHo says anything about stock? :)

Just one thing, tell your Dad to have his car tuned, it will then munch the lancer.

GLD-086

Reaction score
vlv8vic said:
V8s generally have more torque. i kow VLs better than others so my example there is that a stock 5ltr VL has more torque than a turbo version. less rwkw though.
but hey, whats kilowatts when its torque that moves a car!

True, but stock for stock, the VLT is quicker then the 8.

Wasnt the 8 quoted at 16 seconds or something?

Hell I was told that a N/A 5 Speed would give the 5Ltr a run, for it's money.