Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo vs V8

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
GLD-086 said:
True, but stock for stock, the VLT is quicker then the 8.

Wasnt the 8 quoted at 16 seconds or something?

Hell I was told that a N/A 5 Speed would give the 5Ltr a run, for it's money.

I seen a 5 speed 6 vs a 5 speed setup 8 in VL, both stck, the 8 won.

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
minux said:
WHo says anything about stock? :)

Just one thing, tell your Dad to have his car tuned, it will then munch the lancer.

hahaha yeah unfortunately he sold the SS and got a VX Berlina Gen3. I dont think he wants to mod anything power wise. Hes quite happy with it since we had a bit of a run and it munched my Senator :( .

vh_thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
angelo.vs said:
Ive been in an EVO 7 or 8 and my dad had a VT SS Gen 3. Ive got to say stock vs stock the EVO goes alot harder. Dads car was an auto and the EVO a manual and fresh of the showroom.

have you ever watched the GTP race series?
they have mostly production cars like wrxs, evos etc and a few clubsports and gts's.
its great watching the little toy cars get the jump off the line, then the big bangers reel them in on the straight as if they were standing still.

to the original post, the only way a turbo 4 will get an 8 off the line is if the 8 has no traction. small capacity turbos have nothing down low, where the 8 is in its torque band.

GLD-086, apples to oranges mate.
like minux said, fit a 5 speed to both and the 8 will win.
no replacement for displacement.

F

foammedia

The more air you can fit into the engine to more power you will make, the 4 cylinder engine is just half a V8 so you can't say one engine is better than the other since they are the same thing, the V8 has a few design advantages though as far as being more compact that two 4 cylinder engines and sharing a manifold etc. Also the more cylinders you have the smaller and lighter you can make the pistons and then you can make everything spin at smore revs without breaking and the more revs you can spin with more power strokes per/time you can make = more power, take note of forumula one, 18,000 revs buys you alot of power in a tiny little V8.

Thats also why as far as out and out performace goes even though they are more efficient no four cycle engine can match a two stroke or rotary engine of the same size and revs, because they are firing more often. With a turbo even with a small amount of PSI (boost) you can easily fill the engine with 150% of the total air capacity of the engine so you will make more power but that said the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines are inferior to the engines with more cylinders, it's just that they have alot less parts and are cheaper to make so will allways be more common and as they don't make alot of power with a turbo you will see them turbo charged more often. But in your top of the line models and high end sports cars, complex V12's and the like are common.

And back to the original question of why a turbo 4 or 6 can pound a V8 on take off, most V8's from the factory are designed to be a slow long lived engine that can do alot of hard work without breaking. They send them out with mild tunes, mild camshafts, restrictive exhausts and usually in very heavy cars

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
vh_thunder said:
have you ever watched the GTP race series?
they have mostly production cars like wrxs, evos etc and a few clubsports and gts's.
its great watching the little toy cars get the jump off the line, then the big bangers reel them in on the straight as if they were standing still.

Yes I have and I think from memory the EVOs, WRXs were going very well and the 8s couldnt really catch up.

Dont get me wrong, I would rather have a HSV than a WRX for alot of reasons.

GLD-086

Reaction score
vh_thunder said:
GLD-086, apples to oranges mate.
like minux said, fit a 5 speed to both and the 8 will win.
no replacement for displacement.

Yeah mate, true.

I dont really care what would win though, I like both the 5 Speeds and V8s, so yeah, I dont really care what wins.

ProMaX

Make way!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
04 VZ SS Impulse Blue Ute
lets just say I'm buying a VX SS.. is it possibly to supercharge n turbocharge it?

I know i'm a moron

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
Yes it sure is possible to do those things.

ProMaX

Make way!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
04 VZ SS Impulse Blue Ute
awesome... coz thats wat i'm going to do wen i save up for a new car.. it's going to be my weekend/cruising car

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
Sounds good, dads got a Gen 3 VX Berlina and it goes really well.