Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo vs V8

Discussion in 'General' started by commod8, May 27, 2006.

1. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    Everyones seen this or that or their mates seen it or mates of a mate blah blah blah

2. angelo.vs

angelo.vs Autobot

Members Ride:
    Honda Accord Euro Luxury
    Nowadays alot of Jap cars (stock) would beat alot of Commodore 6s (stock).

3. commod8

commod8 swim wit da fishes

Members Ride:
    VR Executive V6 Auto
    thanx to all of you for the help, it's much appreciated. :):):)

4. vh_thunder

vh_thunder New Member

Members Ride:
    VH V8
    i agree, the ls2 is far superior with around double the power/torque.

the thought in the ls2 drivers mind?
    'i may have lost, but i'm still driving a brand new ls2 and not 20 year old vl'

5. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    Pretty broad statement there mate. What jap cars we talking about exactly?

6. fsck

fsck Guest

Alot of the stock jap cars will beat a stock 6 commodore. But don't forget those cars aren't very moddable at all..

Your standard Japanese sports model comes with a 4 or 6 cylinder 2.0 or 3.0 litre engine, usually running 6PSI on a single turbo, with intercooler sometimes, some come with twin turbos. These engines are factory tuned and because of their low displacement don't come anywhere near breaking the emmissions standards. Now, beyond boring(jap motors don't take well to it, the cylinders are pretty tight in already, though I did myself bore a 2.6 litre Astron II(Magna engine), and stick a turbo on it for a project, which came out well) Never heard of a stroked jap engine... On top of that they're usually AWD/FWD, meaning less powertrain so less power loss, and use the lightest parts possible.

Your standard V6 Commodore runs an economical tune, the fact that you can get 10rwkw out of a memcal alone shows this. The engine isn't running forced induction, or a particularly good CAI(I dislike over radiator CAI). As is well known, an ecotec can be easily stroked up to 4.2L, boring I don't know yet, I should look into it. Granted, the Commodore uses a RWD system, which puts about a 25% loss on the final power at the wheels.

The Commodore moddability carries over to the sports models for the most part. Now dollar for dollar stock, you get more performance out of your Jap sports model, however what in the end are you going to have more fun with? Your "I can't do anything to this because the factory did everything" Japanese car, or your "Whoah look at all this cool **** people do to their cars" Commodore? I choose the Commodore every time.

The fun isn't in the speed, it's the journey in getting there.

7. Turko

Turko Guest

When i mean lightly, He has only spent about $3000 on the car. Engine/Turbo Wise.
    His last run down 1/4 was high 12's.
    It doesnt cost much at all to make these cars quick man. I would rather a LS2 though :D

8. angelo.vs

angelo.vs Autobot

Members Ride:
    Honda Accord Euro Luxury

350Z, Corolla Sportivo, Integra Types S or R (whatever the new ones are called), WRXs, EVOs, Libertys, V6 Magnas (not exactly sure what model), Liberty, RX8 and the like.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  9. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    An LS2 with a tune and zorst will run into 12's also, and thats NA, racing a modified vs stock isnt exactly a fair race, besides as someone else said, i knwo what id prefer to be in at the end of the day.

10. Turko

Turko Guest

Yeah I found out, He ran a best of 12.6, on 8psi boost. If he boosted it to about 14psi. He'd get a 12.0 easily Im sure.

11. Julie

Julie moderator- for now anyway

Members Ride:
    Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
    Oh deary me boys. You are getting all technical and arguing about crap when the answer is plain and simple.:whistling

The reason why a 4cyl :rice: can pound a v8 at takeoff is because the v8 driver pities the other driver and gives him a head start so he doesn't feel so bad when his 4cyl pos gets whooped.:flame:

minux likes this.
  12. angelo.vs

angelo.vs Autobot

Members Ride:
    Honda Accord Euro Luxury
    haahaha or to save petrol. I take off alot slower now compared to when petrol was under $1 or $1.10. But then again I get the occasional need...

13. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS S2 A4
    What size turbo is he running a 12.6 on 8psi with?

14. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    Yes the key words being sports model, you cant compare a sports model to a family sedan its two different classes of car.

Majority of jap sport sedans are rwd with the exception to the GTR, GTIR and the evos and wrxs which are awd. Very few jap sports sedans are fwd.

Plenty of jap cars are strokable. Theres kits for thr RB26, the evo 2ltr, and thats just the ones I know of.

Generally modding a V6 commo is impractical cost wise. Youre way better off spending the cash on a V8. Even then the 5.0 is impractical if you can afford a gen3. My vn commo 5.0 had 15k spent on the motor, it ran a 12.80 on street tyres. The vz has had $500 spent on it, a tune, and will do a very low to flat 13. Granted the initial cost of the vehicle is a lot more but the point is the engines are a lot more capable.

Bang for bucks a turbo import will always win hands down. But saying that I get more satisfaction out of hosing them in my stock looking, stock sounding commodore.z

15. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    The last of the Gen3s will run 12s with zorst and tune, my mates tune only VZ SSZ ute ran a 13.1 and Im a tiny bit faster than him. The 6.0s will run 12s with tune only.

16. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    About the only car there you can fairly compare to a V6 commo is the magnaand maybe the liberty. None of the other cars are in the same class.

17. vt1538

vt1538 455rwhp LS3

Members Ride:
    VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
    Thats funny, I thought it was cause the ricer snotbox gets sucked into the V8s intake & makes it stall. Oh well my mistake.

18. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    Its not as simple as winding up the boost and shaving 6 tenths off. Theres tractions issues, whether the motor will hold up, or the clutch.

Good luck to him anyways let us know how he goes.

19. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    4cyl turbos will generally get hosed off the line by V8s because of a thing called turbo lag. Its very hard to launch a turbo car hard to get on boost quickly because of the very fine line between bogging down and lighting the tyres up and going nowhere. An exception to this rule is the 4wd turbo cars...

20. fsck

fsck Guest

You missed the real point of my discussion: Japanese cars come out of the factory with practically everything done. While Commodores retain a good level of moddability. The fun is in working out the mods for your car in your budget, fitting them, getting them fitted and then trying them out. Modifying a car is a journey, and the rice burners miss out on this wonderful part of motoring.