Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

turbo vs V8

Discussion in 'General' started by commod8, May 27, 2006.

1. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    Actually theres a huge market for modding jap cars.

Intercoolers, different turbos, BOVs, cams, clutches, ECU upgrades, Boost controllers, exhausts, external wastegates, suspension, the list goes on.

Jap cars are generally a lot better optioned than aussie cars but they still have a huge modding potential.

2. VS Omega

VS Omega New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Omega
    You people are comparing large Australian family sedans to medium Japanese family sedans.. just thought I'd point that out, they're designed for comfort and safety. Who cares what can do what, at then end of the day they're still only family cars with maybe a bit of power :p

3. VS Omega

VS Omega New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Omega
    Turbo lag? What era are you living in, the 80s? If someone was serious about making their turbo'd car go fast, they would be changing aspect ratios, adding another turbo or swapping internals with lighter weighted parts..

And let's all not forget that the Commodore weighs just about 2 tonnes these days (VE will be close), while these Japanese cars are about the same weight as a VL or slightly heavier, and don't have to adhere to as strict regulations as Australian made cars

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  4. vlv8vic

vlv8vic <---Brad Quaid = internet stalker

Members Ride:
    M5
    righto, looks like a shitfight developing. seems to be some members who need reminding of the rules, they can be found at the top of the page. any further discussion not relating to the original question will result in thread closure and warnings.

5. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    yeah cos all the ricer knobs put go fast parts in cos they look good but don't know how to use them eg. puting the biggest intercooler you can find on while only running 8psi and wondering why it takes so long to spool up.

6. Turko

Turko Guest

Just to let you guys know. Turbo Lag still Exists :D.

7. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    You sir are an idiot. You cannot remove turbo lag by changing ratios, adding turbos (that suggestion is almost laughable) and using lighter (and weaker) internals.

A turbo will not produce positive boost until a certain RPM (depending on size of said turbo) is reached. The bigger the turbo, the more the lag as it takes more RPM to produce positive boost. Small turbos have less lag but produce less power and therefore are impractical when chasing HP.

Please do a little research in future before posting to save making an idiot of yourself.

8. Turko

Turko Guest

Amen to that :yeah:

9. vlv8vic

Members Ride:
    M5
    Despite what peoples opinions are etc, you have no right to call them idiots, or badmouth them for having an opinion. This isnt tolerated at JC and youll fast learn we dont keep people like you around here.
    Consider this a friendly pre-warning.

10. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    OK then so what is the acceptable term for someone who obviously has no idea what they are talking about and is incapable of using logic to form an opinion and or theory on how things work?

11. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Probably the same thing most people would call you :)

However the most of us are able to keep comments to ourselves.

12. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    That would be funny were I intellectually challenged. But Im not. But i do still have a sense of humour and can appreciate the comment anyway.

I have little patience when it comes to stupid people(thats not directed at anyone in particular) and find it hard to keep comments to myself when they pop up. I shall endeavour to be more tolerant of these people in future.

13. vlv8vic

Members Ride:
    M5
    arent you? whoa i would have packed your bags for you ages ago had i realised you werent special!!
    Will keep an extra eye on you now, to think i was giving you a chance on the thought you were challenged.

14. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    I really dont need to say anyhting here, youve done my job for me.

15. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    ok children back on topic. a chrysler V8 for me anyday. i wouldn't bother with a LS1 as they're a clit car. plus they're a bit of a laughing stock amongst certain mechanical circles. people say they're awesome twin turbo'd........ duh, show me a V8 that isn't. otherwise i do like a lot of turbo cars. but i'd still like a charger with a V8 donk. i wouldn't say no to a quick turbo either, in fact i'm building one for my VL.

16. BLACKVZSV8

BLACKVZSV8 300 rwhp

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 M6
    What exactly is a clit car?

And only the first lot of LS1s had dramas with piston slap and oil use. Mines quiet as a mouse hot or cold and doesnt use a drop of oil. And with a tune only its putting out 300hp at the treads. Hardly laughing stock material is it?

17. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    a clit car is a car that every c#nt has. Sure it has power but the laughing point is how fanatical people are over them, coming in with all their holden clothes on boasting about their mighty 5.7L. It's really quite sad when you see it so often in the industry. They are a quick motor with good power output though. each to their own i suppose. no offence to genIII owners :) i'd have one if it were given to me.

18. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    You say this and yet you won a VL, quite funny in its own rights :)

19. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    I do like making people laugh ;) but seriously i see what i stated ALL THE TIME. The only other type that comes close is the XR8 owners, but still not as bad as LS1 owners. I know they're proud and they probably worked their ass off to buy it but if it was me i'd rather buy something that not everyone has. sure i drive a VL and there's heaps around but (I was strapped for cash at the time and) they're cheap, easy to fix, go well, plenty of potential, and good ones are getting less and less. Whereas LS1's are not so cheap, not easy to fix, go well, plenty of potential too but are bloody everywhere and most people have the same mods. Their is less individuality in them then VL's.

20. savage1987

savage1987 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
    hmm. Interesting question then: if you had the money, what would you drive / what engine would you call 'something that not everyone has'?? An older muscle car would seem to fit this category, and you mentioned the Charger earlier on - or is there something else?

Just wondering . . .