Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo VT

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
Hey, expect to be up for about $600. you should be able to get a whole unit out of a VTss for that or a LSD centre for bout $400 and then a diff shop would charge bout $250 to fit it in the housing. be aware though that some V8s came with a "high performance" diff which isnt a LSD it only has an 8 inch diff where the std ones are 7.5inch. you can tell by twisting the axles, if they feel locked together it is a LSD else if they spin they are not. i had some guy on ebay try tell me his diff was LSD however it was only the higher performance version so be aware.

I started remaking my turbo manifolds out of steam pipe as my manifolds are too noisy because they are thin and i found a crack as well, so i am gonna run thick walled pipes with the cross over running around the motor with a smaller diameter cross over to keep more energy in. I hope to have them done in the next couple of weeks.

I also gave my dad a race against mums gen3 Berlina. it has bout 195kw at the wheels with big exhaust and intake mods etc and i walked away from it every time. 3 times and after bout 300m i was 2-4 car lengths ahead. i cant wait to get the manifolds finished and put the bigger injectors in and wind it up to 10psi.

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
here is a pic of what i have done:
DSC00680.jpg

crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S V6 manual ute
oi, what are the pipe sizes that you are running? is the other cylinder bank going to be collector style or log style? what size pipe is the crossover going to be?

i'm envyous of the fact that you have a spare enigne to make the manifolds on; making manifolds on an engine in the bay sucks. also, you don't have to pull your car off the road for as long.

if you are ever going past eight mile plains give us a yell so i can check out your car.

congratulations on smashing the gen3 too...

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
The cross over pipe is going to be the same size as the others. i think its 42mm internal diameter and its going to cross over behind the motor so its not very long. i think the drivers side will be a similar to a log style one as the primaries wont be all the same length, mainly cause its going round the back of the motor and there is not enough room for them to wrap around then up but ill see. the cross over pipe cross section area is more than twice the area of the turbo inlet so the cross over wont be more restricting than the turbo so will be fine.

i got two motors on stands, an ecotec and a buick. i am making the tasty turbo manifolds atm from FITs old jigs so i needed the motors to double check they fitted.

i cant wait to get the new manifolds on when they are done and get the larger injectors in and retuned. its quick now but the new manifolds should make it more responsive down low.

here is a pic of the manifolds so far:
DSC00685.jpg

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
i havnt tried that yet. there is much more room than the current manifolds with the plug leads actually touching under the manifolds and i could still get them out quite easily. i would say a plug socket with a uni joint on the end and straight under the collector would get it out easy.

I had a second look at the drivers side and i reckon i will be able to do a tuned length style manifold that runs around the back. there is enough room and there would probably be an advantage by doing it that way by keeping the pulses in the cross over more evenly spaced. it will help with the scavenging in the passanger side.

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
yeah, at current they run underneath the motor but my new set will run around the back of the motor. i have started the other side i just need to buy some more steam pipe bends. its all looking like it will fit beautifully. ill take some more pics when i have done the drivers side.

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
car is currently at tuners. will get it back next wednesday. i also got a cheap boost controller and they are gonna play with different pressures and see how it responds.

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
An update. well i got my car back from the tuners. they couldnt get the boost controller to work properly. i got 189.2rwkw which is ok. but that was only to try sort the auto out as i got a GT3540 and a 46mm wastegate to go with the new manifolds.
here are some pics:
DSC00711.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00710.jpg