Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo without BOV & running low psi

snowybill

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Hey guys, i don't think this has been covered quite to the detail i want, so im making a new thread, i am just wondering, i want to run a modest turbo with no BOV, and low psi.
My engine is NA (obviously, lol) and im not sure if i have series one or two, because i hear series 2 is easier to work with . So, I am wondering, does anyone know if its possible to run a modest turbo, on low PSI without a Blow Off Valve ? Because i dont want it to be obvious at all that i have a turbo on at all.

Also, would i need to replace anything?
Diff?
Injectors?
Computer?
Anything?
My brakes are turbo brakes, so I've got that part taken care of.

Cheers for any help, snowy.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
you dont need a bov most people these days dont use them and the ysound terible.

you cant use a series 1 motor to convert to turbo or you will have to either tap a whole in the block for oil drain or some how rig up an oil drian high enough to flow freely into sump witch i have seen before

Mayhem05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Aero / Liberty RS Turbo / VL Turbo
u'll just get a huge amount of air pushing back agains ur compresor wheel everytime u close the throttle

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
yeah as well as water feed and oil feed (drilled ans tapped hole to oil gallery)and like stated oil drain..
series 2 block has provisions already for this snowy you will find them on the exhaust side of your block and a big bung just above where the sump is bolted on near engine mount..
on low psi without a BOV is not really a problem as minimal compressor surge is achieved, on big boost applications it is more suited to run BOV to stop premature turbo wear on bearings and seals when the compressed air is forced back through turbo slowing comp wheel as well as strain on bearings etc

Woot just installed my cooler and piping today... turbo soon to come to connect up :p

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
my cousins 240sx (RICE I KNOW) hasnt been running a bov for over 2 years now, think, the blade spins at over 30000 rpm, you reallly think that it turning the other way momentarily is going to affect it? i think at max psi and max revs that heat is what will kill it, stuff no bov, maybe it does wear it out a little, but not to failure, probably some clapped out P.O.s stuffed a turbo when it was on its way out anyway after he blocked his valve

Mayhem05

Reaction score
Members Ride
snowy ur head compresion (im assuming its a rb30) wich is 9.0:1 and the stock low boost turbo is 7.8:1 with a different ignition and fule mapping, could cause head gasket problems if u dont address that in the first place

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
high compression conversions have been done heaps of times, have not heard of any "YET" with gasket probs.
on stock boost for a high comp setup is roughly 10-12 psi on a VLT yeah ????

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
even if your car is running low boost anyone and everyone will hear the turbo spooling up... and it will still flutter. Best thing you can do is have a hidden cooler sprayed black, quiet exhaust and no in cabin gauges (if your on your p's)

snowybill

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
ahh well i was under the impression that, there would be no flutter or noise, i guess that was kinda naive, oh well. Well I have a custom CPU chip, so would i need to change that to stock before i go turbo? Would that be expensive ?

you hit the nail on the head 5 speed, i want it to be kinda discreet, so i don't get any attention from the fella's in blue. I haven't been pulled over before, at all, and ive been driving my VL for about a year now. So im going pretty well with the whole, not driving like a ******** and being a cop magnet side of things.

Mayhem05

Reaction score
Members Ride
i was assuming 6 to 8 psi was low