Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] Turbo'd VE V6 Oil drainage issue. Turbo experts please help!

mrscholz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just finished turbo-ing and tuning a '07 VE V6 Omega. The Turbo is a water cooled GT35R Journal bearing type. I have one problem that is doing my head in... the oil drain from the turbo. Because it is a low-mount, I have got a VDO scavenge pump running off the drain line back to the rocker cover. The pump runs off a turbo timer to continue after the ignition is switched off, I have a one way check valve on the oil inlet side coming from the pressure sender under the oil filter, and a 1mm restrictor. The drain line and the VDO pump both sit below the center of the turbo, and are connected by a 90 degree elbow from the drain port on the turbo. THE PROBLEM... I'm still getting oil being pushed past the bearings. Do I need a vented sump? A better pump? Should I need the restrictor? Do I need a one way valve leaving the turbo as well? Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
does it run a real small air filter if so it can make the compressor housing fill with oil from the vacuam created happens a lot

mrscholz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have got a drift pod filter on it.... Its not the biggest of pods might try and find one with a bigger flow?

v6 morrie minor

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
Pod filter should be fine and yes you need a restrictor, i had trouble with mine until i put a 1.3mm restrictor and mine is a front high mount with drain straight to sump. The dino tune guys told me that it comes out of the turbo like foam so i dont know how your pump will go sucking foam until it reforms itself into oil again. Maybe you should do a search for low mount skyline and see how the ricers do it.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
journal bearing turbo wont last long with a restrictor they require full flow

v6 morrie minor

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
Hey mate sorry for the bad info on the restrictor, I have been talking to delcowizard and he knows his stuff. i hadn't blocked the pcv valve so have now opened my oil out to see how it goes.Looks like his goes real good from the vids he posted. GOOOOD skids

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you have any more info/pics on this build mate?

rubaduckee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
Due to space I only run a fat but narrow air filter and having some issues, mine is high mount drain straight to the sump

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
short ones like this cause issues very easy
1213914116Wide%20Urethane%20Pod%20Filter.jpg

by rights you really need a 12" long k&n if making resonable power.we are starting to get slight film of oil at 14psi with a normal standard size pod filter its just not got enough surface area its even sucked the material out of the mesh its struggling for air LOL

rubaduckee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
That's what mine looks like lol
So not only affecting my power output but also causing it to smoke, just gotta see if I can do something else, maybe run a flexible hose to front of bar and put a bigger filter on it?