Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turn double DIN into 2x single DIN ??

dob80z

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH GenIII Statesman
Howdy all -

Just been reading all about double din head units and using steering wheel audio controls, and have come to the realisation that if I'm careful in my next audio purchase, and buy something with a real volume KNOB, I can probably do without the fancy controls.

Which lead me to my next thought -- what if I just got a single DIN audio unit, and used the second DIN for my CB / scanner (which has a DIN mounting option) ??

Are double DIN housings able to be used in this manner - ie, mounting two single DIN devices ??

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
My dad has just done something similar in his patrol having a din size cb in the extra slot exept it already had 2 single din units.
I have seen many people put 2 individual din size units in the factory double din location in commodores. The units you buy will come with a cradle which can be pop riveted to the old housing, simple.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Double din is just that, two single din spaces. so yes.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
slundy said:
Double din is just that, two single din spaces. so yes.
a din sized space is just like a cm is a cm everywhere. there maybe a little varience but bugger all. so like he (slundy) said!

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
it took me a good 20 seconds to figure out what you were talking about when you said cm. D'OH!

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Anyone know what DIN stands for?