Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turn volume above 7, sub cuts out.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VN Calais 1989
Hey all!

Prior to today my sound system had been functioning perfectly. 900w Type S on a 500w Alpine monoblock. No problemo as far as power is concerned. Everything is exceptionally neatly wired up (and very adequately at that).
Driving into a mates place today and had it sitting at mid volume and sub completely cut out. Gone. Turn the head unit off then back on again, the sub comes back for a couple of seconds then cuts back out again. If I put it to 7 volume, turn it off then back on again, the sub stays non-stop, doesn't cut out. Turn it up above that and it completely cuts out.

Would anyone have any ideas at all as to why this'd be happening?

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's possible. Ah, 0 gauge power, 0 gauge ground, 8 gauge (I'm pretty sure) to bridge the subs voicecoils and 16 gauge to the amp from the sub (I'm also pretty sure).

I don't know what "protect" is I'm afraid, is there any way I could find out? Is there any chance it could be cause by a dodgy ground or something?

(Love your 4th order bandpass build btw mate).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
"PROTECT" when the amp detects a fault.. heat, short, overload... it goes into protect and is usually displayed by a red led next to the power led or the power led turns red.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, thank you very much mate. It's dark here and the neigbours are asleep so I can't test it, but I'll look into it in the morning and see if there is a red LED or anything of the like. If it helps, when the sub "cuts" out the interior lights flicker for the briefest moment of a second, :).

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
"PROTECT" when the amp detects a fault.. heat, short, overload... it goes into protect and is usually displayed by a red led next to the power led or the power led turns red.

That's what usually happens when subs cut out ^.

And thanks :).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I love you "Like" anyones posts that mention your set-up.... I'm gonna create a thread and have 50 responses all the same saying "I like your set-up Nic92"

Reckon that'll keep ya busy for awhile! hehe

back on topic, Kilebantick, what would also help (not so much right now until we know if it's going into protect or not) what make and model is in your set-up. Preferably details on everything if it's known. I mean, if your running 0gauge, then your running a serious setup.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it likely that it's just a dodgy sub ground? Have had problems with it previously. I didn't do the ground wire as I didn't have the tools available.

Also, for curiosities sake, what would happen if you wired the negative/pos on the sub to the amp in reverse, what could this end up doing to the sub/amp?

Edit: Tasmaniak. It should be 0 gauge, I'm not quite sure, it just came in a wiring kit that I bought and it's thick as all f*kbuggery. I use it just for peace of minds sake. I don't have all that much knowledge in the area of audio I'm afraid so I don't have the best idea of whether or not it would affect anything. It's not really a "serious" set up. It's to get me by until I've got some money for the X-Type setup I'm after. It's just a 900w S 12" Alpine S-Type on an Alpine 500w Monoblock. I'll get model numbers tomorrow =).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
On your first point. yes it's quite possible your earth has failed... infact its very likely but without further info, there is a million and one things it could be right now. Buts that at the top of "check it out" list

In theory... if it's just two speaker wires and thats all... not much. No damage done. Infact, you probably wouldn't even notice. If there is four speaker wire going back and it's only one sub (Means you have a dual voice coil sub) and you reverse polarity then your sub will go quite... permanently. kaput.