Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turner's Super 6

Turnerj

Supercharged
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 3.8L Supercharged
Model: 2002 VX (Series II) S Pack
Colour: Gold
Engine: Supercharged 3.8L

Stage 1 Performance Mods
- 12 PSI Supercharger Pulley (MACE)
- W2A Intercooler (MACE)
- High Ratio Rockers (MACE)
- 2.5" Twin Redback Exhaust + Hi-flow Cats
- Pacemaker Extractors
- Larger Throttle Body (MACE)
- Stage 2 Shift Kit

Stage 2 Performance Mods
- 16 PSI Supercharger Pulley (MACE)
- Slotted Brake Rotors
- Supercharger and Manifold Porting (MACE)
- Upgraded Injectors
- Light Weight Rotors for the Supercharger (MACE)
- Cold Air Intake (MACE)
- Upgraded Fuel Pump

Potential Future Performance Mods
- Cam Upgrade
- Further upgrades of the exhaust
- Further upgrades of the intercooler
- Transmission cooler upgrades?
- Stroker kit?

Latest Dyno Run
- 199rwkw (266rwhp - 893nm@w) - November 2013

Previous Dyno Runs:
- 188.6rwkw (252rwhp - 710nm@w) - April 2013

Other Mods
- 19" Rims
- Tinted Windows (Don't know the %)
- Monaro Chrome Tail lights

Future Other Mods (Suggestions Welcome)
- Dashboard Modifications (Colour to match Exterior and Possible Level 3 Cluster)
- Re-tint the Windows (The tinting has just started to die, might also go darker)
- Monaro Headlights

Will get a few more good pictures of my car up soon. The front bumper actually has a fair bit of paint damage on it and needs to be resprayed. The tinting is a little damaged on one of the windows when the power window mechanism broke leaving two nice big gashes in the tint, might go a little darker when I fix that.

The car was secondhand when I bought it with the stock supercharger and no other performance mods. It had full leather interior, the tint and the 19" rims when bought.

I would like to get the car having +200rwkw though that will probably be a couple of months down the track. If I reach the 250rwkw mark, I probably won't upgrade it any further.

Dyno-April-2013-Gold-Commodore-Chopped.jpgSAM_0818 - Resized.JPG2013-04-16 07.21.13-Resized.jpg2013-04-16 07.22.10-Resized.jpg2013-04-16 07.22.26-Resized.jpg2013-04-16 07.20.59-Resized.jpg

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Nice one man , might I suggest a cold air intake ( Mace do a good one ) to replace the stock one , other than that she looks good

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
Looks nice mate. My YT w2a is on its way so i might be sending you some pm's askin questions....

Turnerj

Supercharged
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 3.8L Supercharged
Cheers guys.

Without starting a war, a lot of information I have read and seen (see: might car mods on Youtube, one video about CAI and another about Pod filters), there is pretty much no gains in a CAI (setup dependent of course - some may have a few kw more, some might lose some kw). Of course though if this is wrong or there is a better setup that can get colder air into the engine, I am all ears! :)

Sorry YMY-70Y, my intercooler was installed by the guys at Classic Performance so I don't think I would be much help (didn't have the tools or the know-how though am always keen to learn). Checking out your build thread though, your ride looks pretty cool!

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
what kind of coin are we looking at to get all that mod work done? you've gotta be happy with the way she drives now.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Because you have a positive displacement supercharger, opening up any restrictions before the supercharger becomes all the more important.

This is because M90s like a lot of other positive displacement superchargers experience a decrease in volumetric efficiency at higher engine speeds i.e. they can't "ingest" enough air in order to fill their rotor capacity.

This why it is effective to port the inlet of the supercharger, install larger elbows/u-bends, throttle bodies and CAI kits. A CAI kits main benefit is not the 'extra' cold air it provides but the free flowing design which eliminates some of the restrictions of the factory air intake.

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
My build thread hasnt been updated in ages....soooo much has changed lol

Turnerj

Supercharged
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 3.8L Supercharged
Cheers guys! The car drives pretty hard and pretty loud. Had a minor issue with an idle stepper motor being a little stuck occasionally but should be sorted now.

For my actual setup, the exhaust + extractors was around $2k (installed) and the supercharger + intercooler + throttle body + high ratio rockers + tune was around $6k (installed). Depending where/how you source your parts or whether you install them yourself, I think you could get closer to $5k for a complete setup like this.

Thanks for the in-depth information adz_vy about the CAI! That is definitely the type of information I want to see. Will look into it further now and probably add it to my to-do list.