Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tweeter mount

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok so i've removed my 6x9's.First step to upgrading the system:thumbsup:
Now as i'm upgrading my front splits, i've decided i will move my current front splits to the rear, and they will become my rear fill. I'm choosing not to use the factory shelf cut outs, as i think there too far back, to be a decent mounting point.

Here's where i need some advice. I can either mount them on the flat surface of the shelf, or on the slightly raised sections on the outer edges.. Which would project the best sound? And where would be the best mounting point for the tweeters. Should they be mounted behind the woofers, as in further back towards the windscreen, in line with the woofers, or some where further forward.

Id like to get this right the first time, as this will be my last parcel shelf.;)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm not 100% sure but I thought that tweeters had to be directly pointing at the listener.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thats why im a little confused, because i thought the same. Ive seen them mounted in some cars, on the rear pillars, like in the retainers, but they may have been more for show, than purpose..

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Generally splits in the back is for those that either a) like the look of their sound over the quality of the sound and/or b) have too much money to spend on rears.

Sell off your current splits, and use that money to get some better front splits. Don't have any rear fill unless you are always carrying rear passengers.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I have splits in the back (too much money) and I have mounted the tweeters in the plastic 1/4 panels, my tweeters are quite slim so I got away with it, but I don't think many would fit in there as its very limited space, I don't really get the benefits of the splits in the back but my passengers do.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well i definately dont have too much money, quite the oppisite. Since i'm upgrading the front, what are my 2 chioces, sell them, and get bugger all for them? or do as i have done, and removed the 6x9's,sold them instead, and fit these to the rear in replacement. I'd rather have a $280 set of splits in the rear, than have 6x9's in there, or a cheap set of coaxials, because thats all i'd have to spend of i sold the speakers!!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'm not 100% sure but I thought that tweeters had to be directly pointing at the listener.
Definitely not. Most cheap splits actually sound better with the tweeter off-axis as they're usually average quality tweeters. I usually point them at the head rest of the opposite side front seat. I've also mounted in the stock VT location on top of the dash pointing at the windscreen which sounded good. The high frequencies bounce off solid surfaces so it appears the sound is coming from the windscreen.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Well i definately dont have too much money, quite the oppisite. Since i'm upgrading the front, what are my 2 chioces, sell them, and get bugger all for them? or do as i have done, and removed the 6x9's,sold them instead, and fit these to the rear in replacement. I'd rather have a $280 set of splits in the rear, than have 6x9's in there, or a cheap set of coaxials, because thats all i'd have to spend of i sold the speakers!!

can you mount no2 pair in the front also? im not sure but is there a limit as to how far away the tweeter and speaker can be? I would just put them in the rear if you've got nothing else to do the job and have sold other speakers and already have good front just put them in the back. Can't lose really, selling them now that would be a loss

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well these are my current front speakers, i had 6x9's in the rear. But i also have a 15'' Soundstream SPL, so the 6x9's were defenitlety not needed for the rear. I'm aiming at a qualtity system all around. So yeah why sell a pair of $280 splits, to buy what, a cheap pair of coaxials, no point really is there. I know everyone says, why bother with the rear passengers, well, i've been a rear passenger to my own car before, many times....So yeah i'm putting these in the rear, and i'm looking around at a decent upgrade for the front...

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
So what do you reccomend Stone X? mounting on the rear pillar, facing the front seats?