Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tweeters in VS Calais Dash

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
Hello all,

A few little questions..

Just wondering if anyone knows what colour the wires are to the tweeters in the dash of a VS calais?

I have a Pioneer DEH-P8450MP headunit in the car, have had for 3 years and i didn't even know i had tweeters in the dash :bang:

Im upgrading my system either this weekend or next and im putting in the following.

Blaupunkt VPA 4120 AMP(Velocity Comp series @ 4x 120WRMS 4ohm) & Blaupunkt VPc 172 Splits (Velocity Comp series 6.5" splits @ 120WRMS 4ohm)

The splits are going front and rear, do you think i will have much trouble sticking them in?

We were going to make a custom rear parcel shelf under the original if possible and have the splits mounted in the MDF shelf to keep that original look. I think the fronts might be a little bit tricky front reading through the forums.

Also i will be popping in 2x 12" Pioneer 400WRMS subs, looking for the amp to power it, im thinking a Pioneer monoblock. but im not sure.
I popped in a CD-IB100-ii (Pioneer Ipod adapter) yesterday and it works really well, only its kinda a pain to select songs from the head unit, i wanna upgrade to a 6.5" or 7" LCD touch screen pioneer to make it easy, but i dunno if there is enough room to fit the unit in the dash???

Oh Yeah, How do i remove the audio controls from my steering wheel? will it set off my airbag?
Cheers

Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok pretty much dont touch anyhting with yellow wiring/sheath and you will be fine regarding the airbags. there should be screws, not too hard.
as for the splits, in the rear they will fit in the stock places probably. i would mount the tweeters on the top of the rear quater window trim.
as for the front splits, you can cut the placstic pod to sahit and have a tinny sounding resonent pod or make some mdf spacer rings and then have them angled. if you are interested i can give you step by step instructions, its pretty easy though.
mount the front tweeters anywhere around the base of the A-pillar. or under the vent.
i would run new wires for the splits inc. tweeters. there is no need apart from making things easier.

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
garfa said:
ok pretty much dont touch anyhting with yellow wiring/sheath and you will be fine regarding the airbags. there should be screws, not too hard.
as for the splits, in the rear they will fit in the stock places probably. i would mount the tweeters on the top of the rear quater window trim.
as for the front splits, you can cut the placstic pod to sahit and have a tinny sounding resonent pod or make some mdf spacer rings and then have them angled. if you are interested i can give you step by step instructions, its pretty easy though.
mount the front tweeters anywhere around the base of the A-pillar. or under the vent.
i would run new wires for the splits inc. tweeters. there is no need apart from making things easier.

could you please give me the step by step instructions on the front door pods?
that would be awesome..

cheers

Oh and the steering wheel has 4 weird torx like screws with a pin in them.
would it be a good idea to pull the airbags fuse before i attempted to take off the audio steering wheel controls?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Doing anyting electrical its best to disconnect your battery all togthere. that way u dont have to worry about other 12v items, just reconnect when done to test.