Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twice Write-off ute advice

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If this is to be driven, I wouldn't waste my time.

If you want it for a parts car and it is priced at a parts car level the sure, why not.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks everyone, the car is not from the north/west of Melbourne its more rural and the owner said he bought in in December of 2019 unregistered I already have a VS sedan that I can use as parts and I have some current pictures that show that its in good condition, I think everyone is right that the repairable write-off happened in 2004 as the owner sent me the road worthy for 2019 and it didn't include any of the write-off repair. I will talk more to him to know if it drives straight as I really need this car but the long story short of it is my mum hit a wallaby at 70km about a month ago and at first RACV said it was a write-off and was going to pay her a small sum then a second opinion said it was a repairable write-off and the car is now fine, I would keep the car for as long as I can swap parts into it and selling it is not a big concern to me but should I call Vic Roads to confirm its not a write-off, thanks everyone for your considerations.

Do you honestly think the owner is going to tell you it doesn't drive straight?

Pictures don't tell the full story...

If you are genuinely interested, look at it with your own eyes and drive the car yourself.....The rest of what the current owner says is all I want to sell b/s

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Save your coin = buy a at least reasonable condition non writeoff ute and use your parts car to replace items or sell for coin to go towards ute parts.
( having / throwing a parts car parts into a writen off car = more money /time you' ve spent on a writen off car.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
AS iron maiden said = run to the hills

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... should I call Vic Roads to confirm its not a write-off...
In my above post, i should have added you already know the vehicle is a repairable writeoff as the PPS tells you that.

Such a categorisation is in essence a flag against the VIN on a national database (NEVDIS) and that flag can never be removed.

What you must do is check with VicRoads what is required to register such a car . Since the registration has lapsed, VicRoads may take a dim view of that. If VicRoads wants to put you through the ringer again, a repairable writeoff will need an engineer signing it off and that will cost a minimum $1K (if anyone will even bother to do such without documented proof of how the repair was done (pictures of progress, etc) and where parts were used and where they were obtained (must provide receipts). Then you'd have the normal registration costs on top of that...

If you don't want to have a seriously costly and difficult registration process, ring VicRoads and discuss the matter with them.

AND when talking to VicRoasds, ask about specifics related to the 1998 vehilce you intend to purchase as well as the process involved in getting it back on the road. As a side note, I have a vauge recollection rules are more lax if the vehicle is > 15 years old but check for yourself as any miss step in buying a written off vehicle can be a disaster... And thats quite separate from the issue of whether the heavey structural damage was repaired well in the first instance...

So ring VicRoads as they are the ones you'll have to deal with in any case...

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Rules for car buying
1. The seller always lies
2. If you think the seller is honest, refer to rule 1

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks everyone I gave myself some time to think about it and I have walked away from the repairable write-off I even found a cheaper and closer VS ute, thanks for saving me from a big mistake.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I have to wonder why anyone would even waste their time on a vehicle that's worth so little in the current economic point that the VS is in.

So much hassle for so little value involved. It's a no brainer to me, now if we were talking a $25,000 car then it would be a different story, regardless you've done the right thing and saved yourself so much heartache.