Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twice Write-off ute advice

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi all I'm about to buy a 1998 VSIII ute and I did an online check to see if it was stolen, money owed etc and in the write-off status it had two accidents one in 2004 as a repairable write-off and the other in 2019 but it only says "inspected" who do I call to make sure I'm not buying a car that cant be put on the road. The car is being bought with a road worthy so if I call Vic Roads would they know about this, it might of just been kangaroos. The first thing I asked the owner was had it been in any accidents which he replied "not that he knows of" the car looks like it had a good repair all the panels paint match. The car looks like its been looked after. Here is a picture of the write-off section.

Attachments

• Write-off.jpg
    Write-off.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 220

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
looks like it was repaired in nsw and was confirmed about the repairable write off probably when rego changed over to vic in 2019. its the same damage/repair from 2004. Looks like the car was sold a few times before this owner got it and he would know of the repairs if he did the same vehicle check when he bought it

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi all I'm about to buy a 1998 VSIII ute and I did an online check to see if it was stolen, money owed etc and in the write-off status it had two accidents one in 2004 as a repairable write-off and the other in 2019 but it only says "inspected" who do I call to make sure I'm not buying a car that cant be put on the road. The car is being bought with a road worthy so if I call Vic Roads would they know about this, it might of just been kangaroos. The first thing I asked the owner was had it been in any accidents which he replied "not that he knows of" the car looks like it had a good repair all the panels paint match. The car looks like its been looked after. Here is a picture of the write-off section.
I wouldn't buy it. Buy one with a clean history and save yourself the headache. It won't be worth nearly as much down the track with a record like that and you may even struggle to sell it if you ever wanted to.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
PASS !,
It will be as straight as the Great Ocean Road !

As above, not worth the headache,
Spend you hard earnt money on something better, that you will enjoy,
and not have in the back of your mind that you are driving a Banana.
Also, if you do go to re sell it, the Headache will re-appear again.

Don't Tell me, Let guess, its for sale in the North, or North Western Suburb of Melbourne.

They love buying Repairable Writoffs,
as they buy them check at the auctions,
knock off other cars and repair theirs to sell. "Re-birth Them"
Its well known in the motor industry.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The first thing I asked the owner was had it been in any accidents which he replied "not that he knows of"

I call bull, it was written off 5 months ago. And if he genuinely doesn't know it would mean that he has bought it within the last 5 months, why would he sell it that soon? Unlikely but could also be an indicator of rebirthing.

Yes, it could have been kangaroos (although roos generally don't cause mechanical damage), but how will you ever know. It could have been a telephone pole, bumper to tail, "Major structural damage" could be any number of things more serious than roos.

If you're just looking at photos on the net and haven't seen the car in person, they could be from when he initially bought it before the most recent accident. Either way the seller seems suspicious regardless of the cars history.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My bus has had a hard knock to the front and it has cost me 100s in replacing small things that only come off when you start fixing something. Lots of bits in VR and VS that sit behind other things which disguise broken stuff. Mine has never been repairable write off but I have been suss on it since I have replaced stack of parts and spent hours fixing one thing and discovering the hidden problems underneath in the process. I've wondered if mine has been rebirthed.....

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks everyone, the car is not from the north/west of Melbourne its more rural and the owner said he bought in in December of 2019 unregistered I already have a VS sedan that I can use as parts and I have some current pictures that show that its in good condition, I think everyone is right that the repairable write-off happened in 2004 as the owner sent me the road worthy for 2019 and it didn't include any of the write-off repair. I will talk more to him to know if it drives straight as I really need this car but the long story short of it is my mum hit a wallaby at 70km about a month ago and at first RACV said it was a write-off and was going to pay her a small sum then a second opinion said it was a repairable write-off and the car is now fine, I would keep the car for as long as I can swap parts into it and selling it is not a big concern to me but should I call Vic Roads to confirm its not a write-off, thanks everyone for your considerations.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Is it an vs ss ute or just super cheap v6 model? What is reason you want to buy this particular ute?

Looks like written off at last inspection in December 2019.

Owner is full of shite if he owned & crashed it last year.That is a walk away signal plus the fact that it's been in 2 big crashes.Roadworthy is just checking basics for rego renewal not actual crash damage or car history

Minor mechancal damage could be hit hard enough to require suspension or even engine parts..heavy structural means chassis rail or strut tower/s

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
An unregistered repairable write-off is a pain and costly to reregister. Bureaucracies, being what they are, the rego authority may make you jump through the hoops again even if you have all the docs associated with proof of correct repair from back in 2004.

Since the PPS cert doesn’t identify where the repairable write-off was first reregistered after the repair, the move to Vic may have been a simple transfer of an interstate registered vehicle. If for some reason you still want this car, ring VicRoads and absolutely confirm the process to reregister a repairable write-off who’s (NSW?) registration has lapsed. If you’re now required to again prove correct repair of an unregistered repairable write-off, and you don’t have the paper work, you may be left with something you can’t register.

Me, I’d walk and find an unmolested undamaged low mileage example with a squeaky clean record ;)

+1 that the owner is FOS.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Me, I’d walk and find an unmolested undamaged low mileage example with a squeaky clean record ;)

+1 that the owner is FOS.

What he said !