Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Twin Turbo LS1 Build....before PC37

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Hey Guys,

I'm dead keen on building my vx berlina auto into a twin turbo sleeper before powercruise 37. Short time frame I know.
Anyway, just keen on getting useful and productive information and advise from anyone that has fitted turbos (single or twin) to their ls.

My plans are as it stands
-stock motor with dual valve springs
-reversed standard manifolds with 2 1/4 feed pipe
-x2 gt2871 turbos -(cheap bush-type)
-2 1/2 stainless dump pipe
-510x230x65 intercooler
-50mm int-inlet piping
-65mm oulet with 100mm expander into t/b
-60lb injectors
-2 bar map sensor
-intercooler spray
-water/meth injection (if time permits....)
-inline manual boost controller
-cheap bovs plumbed back
etc etc
-also need to convince the boys at hi-torque to dyno tune it for me.....

I want 400+rwhp so i'll probably set it at around 7-10psi, i'll keep it conservative for the first coupla days of powercruise, then wind it up to 12psi on sunday and see how she goes...lol, im not to worried if she goes pop, cuz then its an excuse to stroke it....

any info and technical advice would be greatly appreciated. even info on the seemingly simple and obvious things would be great... like where did you put your iat sensor???(and how'd you keep it in against boost pressure?...)
etc etc.

Cheers, enroh

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
My IAT sensor is held in with rubber and cable ties - hasn't popped out once.

I see the word "cheap" being thrown around a lot here - I don't like that. "Cheap" usually ends up turning into "expensive"
I can't see anything about lines for the oil feeds, relocating the battery to fit the turbochargers in the front (provided you're going top mount) or anything about a oil scavenging system for a stealth system,

I see nothing to do with a fuel system except for Injectors - this is a good way to blow the guts out of the motor.

I turbocharged my SS in 4 days start to finish using a mixture of a Genracing manifold and intercooler kit plus a Turbonetics turbo, cost about 10K all up doing the majority of the work either myself or with friends. It is doable BUT not the easiest of tasks or the cheapest.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Yeah mate, sorry I should of.put more info in the post.
Turbos will be front mounted...hence the reversed manifolds. And the turbos aren't exactly cheap, their just plain bearing rather than ball-bdaring, the cheaper option
-battery relocatedto boot.
-ecu relocated-not sure where yet but away from the heat
-3litre surge tank with 044 style pump. Not sure what sort of fuel pressure regulator to use yet.
-1/8th npt fitting of the filter block will feed the turbos, with a restrictor in the fitting to reduce the oil flow, then oil returns will go straight into the sump... Still gotta figure out where exactly
-not real keen on zipties, anyone know of screw in iats that are compatible with the system.

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
GMC Typhoon (I think) IAT's are threaded (3/8" NPT), read the same and have the same plug as your current IAT. I use one of those.

intakepipe10.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-213...its=Model:Syclone&hash=item564a3fd1fe&vxp=mtr

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Cool, cheers for the info boys...
and @ chamra1...lol, nah mate, I like my berlina...and I like to build my own cars...

Will post some pics up of some of the goodies I've got so far after work tomorrow....

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
What's everyone afraid of hard work? Lol. Nah, I'd much rather build the setup myself, rather than buy one, that challenge is what I enjoy about modifying cars,
Anyway, anyone know of a good turbo supplier in g.c, south Brisbane, it looks like I'm being docked.around by the mob I was buying them through...Y