Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin Turbo VS Ecotec Build **engine build in progress page 16**

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Well its time for something different. The little SC14 hasnt got the guts i want anymore (which will be up for sale in a month). I want to run 10PSI reliably without boosting constantly.

Im going to do twin T28's with one on each side of the engine bay. Its going to be a tight squeeze on the ABS side but i think i can get around it.

Im going to keep my intercooler and piping as i can modify what ive got from the blower side and keep the inlet to the motor the same.

Now im not after huge power with this setup, i know a single turbo might be more effiecient but twin is less common than single. For me twin is easier to set up than single and if im going to make 2 manifolds then why not have 2 turbo's?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Moved the battery to the boot.

Ran 2 x 4G cables under the carpet to the engine bay then to a brass terminal block.

Messy boot.
IMG_0406r1.jpg

Gotta clean up the wiring a little and fix up the suface rust crap where the battery was. WOW i just noticed in the picture that rust bubble on my chassis rail. I think i dropped brake fluid there years ago. I think it might just be the paint bubbling up though (Me hopes...).
IMG_0407r1.jpg

Last edited:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive decided to make the manifolds from stainless steel as stainless tends to hold alot of heat. I shouldnt have to worry too much about heat wrapping or coating either. Stainless also withstands alot more heat than mild steel. I will be making the runners out of stainless schedule 40 1-1/2'' buttweld mandrel bends which are around 3.9mm wall thickness.

Today i made the 2 head flanges to start off the manifolds. I measured up the stock headers, drew them up in CAD then cut them out of 12mm plate on our high definition CNC plasma cutter. I cut them out of 12 because they will distort alot being stainless when welded. I will skim them back to around 8mm thick on the milling machine after they are welded up.

Now i have to clean the ports up a little, drill the holes through and machine undercuts on the faces around the port holes to lessen the surface area to allow for a little distortion and bite into the gasket.

IMG_0472r1.jpg

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
Sounds good.. can't wait to see it =]
how much will you be selling the sc14 for?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Great project, can't wait to see it finished.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
having seen the quality of the workmanship on the sc14 setup, I have no doubts this will be very pretty and functional!

- are the turbos internally gated ? or are you going to run external gates?
- how are you going to run the oil feed/drain lines?
- where are you going to run the dump pipes?
- have you considered getting rid of the abs all together for more room?
- how are you going to run the cooler piping from the turbos etc?

good luck with it! and keep up the pics!!

and a twin snail setup should be niiice and responsive - hopefully enough to mimic the instant boost the sc14 would have given you!

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Luke!

The turbo's ive chosen are internally gated T28 GTR skyline turbos. They run a slightly smaller turbine housing than a normal T28 so should have no problems spooling. Only thing im worried about is the ceramic turbine wheel but im only running 10psi total so that should give each one a little less stress.

Drain lines will be to the top of the sump. Ecotec sumps have that hang out at the front of the motor. Feed will be from the oil pressure sensor.

Im going to make the manifolds as low and tight to the motor as i can which should allow for the dumps to run under the ABS module (HOPING!). Then each dump will go back to the flange on each exhaust pipe as i have twin exhaust all the way through. I really dont want to remove the ABS as its a big safety feature of the car and has saved me a few times.

Cooler piping will stay exactly the same from the plenum to the intecooler but from the turbos they will run 2 into 1. Havent quite nutted out yet as to how im going to do that exactly.

Your exhuast question reminds me of a question for you. Each of my exhaust pipes are 2 1/4'' so the dump pipes can be 2 1/4 too? Is 2 1/4'' pipe acceptable to run from the manifold runners to the turbine housing? After all they are pretty small turbo's but im going to have a room issue so i need to keep the pipes as small as possible.

VSEXEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE
i was going to twin turbo my vs but everyone told me you need to move abs and extend the lines so i went single. Theres a set of manifolds on ebay at the moment from v & e rigolli. Another option could be to run them under the car. Good luck with the project