Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Two Hole Mod and MCAI

jiffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Clubsport
I did this today on my VY clubsport. Piece of cake and because it already has a good CAI, no need for the monaro one... so it literally cost me only a bit of paint and pipe I had lying around, and some time.

I didn't notice a difference at first, but when I went for a drive on my own, I realised I hadn't noticed anything cos I had the kids in the car (driving gently). Anything past half throttle and it was well and truly noticeable (in noise, not performance)

GUS009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS Crewman
great write-up mate gonna do this on the weekend. got a vy also, so already got the shroud you bewty!

dubekot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Thanks for the write up BullittSV6, just finished doing this to my SV6. Im not the most mechanically minded but have successfully done it following these instructions :) took me 5 hours haha.
Just a tip, I found that tin snips worked well for cutting the MCAI shroud up.
After going for a drive, i can definitely feel some more pick up, not to sure about top end.

For the $30 it cost me, im pretty happy with the outcome.

Cheers, Luke

red_rocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S UTE
If you don't use the MCAI, then no you don't need the second pipe. Simple as that.

If you do use the MCAI, the second pipe helps to keep it together and provides a direct path for the air to go into the air box. Otherwise you will get cooler air escaping to the engine bay and warmer air coming into the airbox.

If i don't use the mcai and just have the second hole in the airbox will i need to replace the original 90 degree duct?

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
hey mate great write up thanks helped heapppsss :):)

matsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS UTE
If i don't use the mcai and just have the second hole in the airbox will i need to replace the original 90 degree duct?

id like to know the answer to this question aswell. anybody?

MerlinSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore
nice write up there BullittSV6

i did take my 90 degree elbow off my 5.7 airbox there is a more grow with it but then again theres not much room down there for a custom CAI

mark b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS 1996 V6 Auto
I have 04 Vz Sv6 stock plus K&N Filter......after a 2 hole mod and oil change I definitely noticed a small but noticeable increase in throttle response. When putting foot down hard on accelerator ( e.g. fast take off or fast overtaking ) there is definitely a small but noticeable increase in the sound quality - like an extra low note is now available at times.

Great mod, fairly easy, cheap and quick. The only thing that I recommend is to keep the top half of the stock 90 degree elbow, glue it to its original position ( bottom of the radiator shroud ) and reshape the end so that it directs airflow towards the second smaller pvc pipe inlet on the right while driving. ( Actually another recommendation that I haven't tried yet is to use sheet metal to build a 'fence' to stop hot air from the engine bay entering the air inlet while at the traffic lights etc. - similar to a heat shield for a pod filter....any ideas would be great. )