Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Two Hole Mod and MCAI

ACE ADVENTRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 ADVENTRA V6
one last thing, I've just come in from outside looking at the air-box, I'm going to do this mod tomorrow.
I can see a big opening going in behind the left headlight/fender, has anyone used a 45degree elbow from the box and had the pipe go into the area behind the left head light?
i know it gets air flow in there cause i can see some leaves and a few feathers from a bird we hit up mid north a while ago.

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
If I do a reset of my per 100 k's while getting onto a freeway I got it as low as 6.4 per 100k's with a average speed of about 107kph. I'm using a SS induction growler on a alloytec v6.

Magically transferred through space and time to the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.

ACE ADVENTRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 ADVENTRA V6
just did a "google" on the SS growler kit to suit V6... its now on the wish list ($430 on ebay)
definitely doing the two hole mod tomorrow, that'll get me by until i can spare some cash for the growler.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Yes it the plastic part between the airbox and headlight

And you cut the second hole yourself, did you fully read the how to mate?

You can custom make it if you really want, but easiest way is to go to your local dealership and quote the part number for the Mcai in the first thread, should cost around $30

And m stands for Monaro cos that's what it's actually for

Last edited:

ACE ADVENTRA

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 ADVENTRA V6
i have just done the two hole mod, reset the trip computer/mileage and took the 'ventra out for a bit of a hammering up in the twisty foot hills and SO FAR, (i know its still working out the avg) its come back with 12.7 rather than the 14.8 it was displaying.
for it to settle on 12.7 right now is great, almost too good to be true cause the adventra's are so bloody heavy, if it ends up settling somewhere in the 13 liters per 100km range around the city then i'll be very happy, anything is better than 14.8 city driving,
I cant hear any difference with the "sucking of air" but thats because with the AWD set up it has a whine from the transfer-case. seems to have a little bit more torque.

I whizzed up to bunnings first thing today, grabbed a few 45deg. bends and pipe and put my second pipe behind the left headlight.

*UPDATE* we've been out all morning, doing some running around, lots of stop-starts. and it seems to have settled on 13.6/13.7per 100km's of "city driving" now, that's 1.2 liters better per 100km's
dashsetup012.jpg

dashsetup024.jpg

dashsetup030.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

Last edited:

mark b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS 1996 V6 Auto
"I have 04 Vz Sv6 stock plus K&N Filter......after a 2 hole mod and oil change I definitely noticed a small but noticeable increase in throttle response. When putting foot down hard on accelerator ( e.g. fast take off or fast overtaking ) there is definitely a small but noticeable increase in the sound quality - like an extra low note is now available at times. " 2011

Well its been a while, thought I'd update my thoughts on the 2 hole CAI mod and also answer Ryan101's question about mileage.

I am a self taught amateur mechanic, from what I've read, installing a MAFLESS CAI is not a good idea. Some say that a tune is not required, others have said a tune is essential because " it will upset MAF variables relating to air flow", and the rest seem to agree that disconnecting the negative then positive battery terminals for 10 minutes or so will reset the ECU and adjust automatically.

Originally, I did the 10 minute reset suggestion. Besides what I mentioned in my first post, I have yet to see any other benefits. Until now......

I performed a COMPUTER RESET PROCEDURE that I have so far failed to see mentioned elsewhere. I'll list the instructions below, any constructive feedback would be great.
My previous mileage was 12.21 L/100kms in city full of traffic lights and around 10 - 11 on the motorway, a week after performing the new reset my motorway mileage is down to 8.41 but its still too early too get a reliable reading I think, and I haven't done enough city driving but I'll get back soon.

RESET
1-Disconnect the negative, then positive battery terminal, now leave it disconnected for 30 minutes.
2-Put the key in the ignition ( terminals disconnected still ) and leave it in the on position for another 30 minutes with the battery terminals disconnected.
3-After 30 minutes ( 1 hour in total so far ) hold the brake pedal down for 5 seconds.
4-Turn the key off.
5-Reconnect negative, then positive terminals.
6-IMMEDIATELY drive for at least 30 minutes, preferably on the motorway.

Maybe it is just me, but the car seems to be running much better overall now and so far the mileage has improved.
Keen to hear your thoughts.......

brentbrah

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore
is there any where else i could find a MCAI, holden reckon they dont have them...?

mark b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS 1996 V6 Auto
is there any where else i could find a MCAI, holden reckon they dont have them...?

I'm confused by the definition of 'mcai' ....I thought there was a snorkel and an airbox, and 'mcai' stood for modified cold air intake.
I'm just an amateur so I don't know for sure tho....

If you can't find the snorkel section, I would check out the pics at step 6 ( or at post 8 here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-alloytec-175-2-hole-mod.62308 ).....see those 2 big holes, just go to Bunnings and get 2 straight pvc pieces to fit snugly. Although the air may be slightly cooler if received from the snorkel, having 2 straight round pipes means you will be sucking in more air at a higher force while driving then if you were to have a pipe with a 90 degree bend.....that's what I reckon anyway.

If your after the airbox and holden can't get one my only guess would be a Holden wrecker.

Last edited:

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
MCAI = Monaro Cold Air Intake.

Here is the Holden Part Numbers for the MCAI
92102689 HOSE - AIR CLEANER SCOOP
92102700 SEAL - AIR CLEANER SCOOP
92096849 DUCT - AIR INLET TO AIR CLEANER