Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Two Hole Mod - Testing Intake Temp

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Man... that write up was pretty cool... but i can see where the problem was...

2 holes sucking air from inside the engine bay...

I've seen other people run the 2nd pipe down so the intake is sitting fairly close to the road so it sucks cooler air from under the car rather than hot air trapped under the bonnet... then you should see lower temps so long as the standard snorkel still remains aswell...

Interesting though... nice one

Nitronic_12

Loser of the loser flyby
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
But isn't there a danger of sucking in water or something with that?
What about when it rains?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I wouldn't think so... because any water that does travel all the way up this additional snorkel isn't going to get through the air filter in the airbox.

So I can't see any water actually getting though the air filter and into the combustion chamber...

holden-4-life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe II
Man... that write up was pretty cool... but i can see where the problem was...

2 holes sucking air from inside the engine bay...

I've seen other people run the 2nd pipe down so the intake is sitting fairly close to the road so it sucks cooler air from under the car rather than hot air trapped under the bonnet... then you should see lower temps so long as the standard snorkel still remains aswell...

Interesting though... nice one

yeah can the OP do a test with that?

coz id really like to know the deference with that mod

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
hey Andy

Do you reckon there’s any benefit in the radiator shroud or is it like the engine covers?

im thinking it channels air into the radiator rather than over it,

same as the sv6/ss bar has a buffer insert that fits behind the bar which the execs dont have,

i fitted my ss bar without it and the engine does get hotter than it used to, but nothing bad, the thermos just come on sooner than it used to

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I was thinking about this is afternoon when I walked the dog. I mean seriously its 3 degrees. In the scheme of things, its bugger all and probably negligable. Think about it: what gives you the bigger gain? Cooling the air or doubling the air intake. I don't know the answer but my money is on doubling the air intake.

I also believe that the method referenced by mattsv6 is flawed because, obviously, your sucking hot engine bay air, when you could section off the air intake with the MCAI. That's why I did it and its why I wrote this method up: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/two-hole-mod-mcai.94859. I couldn't find a method for combining both the two hole mod and MCAI and that why I wrote this up.

Having said that, if someone develops an OTR CAI setup, I'll put my money on that too!

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
With the first 2 hole mod linked to you'll find that it will draw in air from wherever it can. And most in that one will NOT come from behind the headlights being scooped up. If you look at the CAI design in my rides topic you'll see it sits right where the scoop of cold air comes from [thank you holden]. So it wont be drawing in much (if any at all) warm engine air. I'll have to get some figures up though. If i can get a temperature probe i'll measure it now, then cover mine with glad wrap or something then measure it!

However i can see how the MCAI would help it!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hi All,

Before performing the two hole mod on my SV6, I bought a digital thermometer and hooked it up to measure the intake air temperature before and after this mod.

This was all done within the span of about 45 mins on the same day at about 5pm, so there wasn’t much difference in the outside temp. Results:

Idle Temp:
Standard Intake: 27.1
2 Hole Intake: 30.2

Driving at 60km/h:
Standard Intake: 23.5
2 Hole Intake: 26.0

I didn’t really notice any performance difference other than a new induction noise... I think this mod would have more of an impact for a V8 which sucks more air... but for a V6, looks like it just sucks in hotter air.

Cheers

The simple answer is that after the two hole mod, the air is flowing faster. More speed = more friction over the temp sensor. Friction = heat.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
The simple answer is that after the two hole mod, the air is flowing faster. More speed = more friction over the temp sensor. Friction = heat.

i highly doubt holden would make an intake that is restricive, nor do i think the extra hole enables extra air flow,

id put this about on par with removing the bellmouth out of a buick