Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

type R shift light

mradam1986

Reaction score
hey all i went out and got my self a type r shift light and i aint sure how to wire it up as its only got 3 wires on it (red,black,green) i am not sure and i could be 100% wrong but i thought red gose to power and black to earth but not sure on green but i could be wrong with them all so would any one be able to help me i have a vt 5 speed

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
1st you should have done a search.
2nd Type R are so **** and chances are it wont be able to pick up the tachopulse signal from the wire in the engine bay, to rectify this you will need to a tachopulse signal strengthener which autometer sell for $150 from memory, which kind of defeats the purpose considering your gauge is worth $30.

But if you to go ahead with it:
In the engine bay follow the main engine bay wiring loom from the passenger side firewall grommit, 30-50cm along you will find a Dark green wire coming out of the loom then sticky-taped to it. This is your tachopulse signal wire, connect your green wire to it.

EDIT: do you have a VT?

Last edited:

goofball_9996

aint got **** to do
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pack
the main plug behind the dash you can wire it in to there. its a brown wire on one side of the plug i had my msd shift light wire in to it and it work great