Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Types of gas systems and forced induction

ascension24

Reaction score
Just got a few questions about gas systems, first one is, what are the different types?

I know on my magna the gas is injected via an adapter at the throttle body, but this seems like a pretty cheap setup. Are there setups that inject the gas through the cars injectors?

How is it done with a straight gas setup.

Now how would a supercharged VT go on straight gas, im not worried about any loss in performance because this will be made up with mods done, but im more worried about how the engine will hold up and could there be any damage done to the charger?

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
gas can either me mixed in the the and go through with the air or it can be pumped in through the injectors, with straight gas you will gain power as its got higher octane than petrol. also it will work nicely with the blower. check out Gasresearch.

ascension24

Reaction score
Gasresearch uses a carbie though, are they any systems which are efi?

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
i'm not very knowledgeable in this field, but from what i've been gathering up theres 2 types of gas injection:
vapour injection and liquid injection. the latter isnt avaliable yet. both however would give you approx the same if not better economy and power as petrol.

i'ld post more info but it'ld be wrong so i wont.

i know i'm waiting for the liquid injection for my car!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
try a search this has been covered before... you need injected gas systems with forced induction not mixed gas systems (which cause backfires and blown gaskets)... I know a guy who tried that setup with a blown 351 and had nothing but troubles !

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
sixshooter said:
try a search this has been covered before... you need injected gas systems with forced induction not mixed gas systems (which cause backfires and blown gaskets)... I know a guy who tried that setup with a blown 351 and had nothing but troubles !

It can be problematic, but it can also work very damned well, there's a fella running a turbo 4.1L XE on the BBQ juice and it's running 10's! Apparently quite reliable as well.

Vapour injection systems are available that would probably work well on the super6, check this out: http://www.gas-injection.com/ Saw this dude on the telly a while back, the system looks pretty promising. There's a dyno graph on there of a VY clubbie with the system, it actually gained power all through the rev range!

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
i know of an early anglia hotrod with lpg on a turbo 1gg toyota in it, makes an easy 200 rwkw, had some problems setting it up but its pretty good now

Rob

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
i'll be able to provide abit more info as it gets done but my cars booked in at the start of November for a conversion. he's going to try and do a gas injection setup for me, but he's unsure if it can be done due to space constraints with the supercharger or something, i'll ask him again when i'm down there friday. he did tell me hes done a fairfew super6 conversions in the past, all of them with the gas mixers. only 1 had a backfire due to faulty plugs....