Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre Advice for 16" Stock Rims

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hi Guys,

Ok, so I am in the market for a new set of tyres for the VE. It's just the standard 16 inch rim, unfortunately most threads were about people who had 19 inch or higher rims.
Currently I am running Turanza ER300's which were on the car since I bought it. Which means I've pulled about 45,000km out of them, and they have probably 5000km left in them - driving on quite bad roads.

I will probably be doing slightly more freeway driving soon, and the ER300's have been pretty good so at the moment I am thinking just get the same tyre. However, I had Pirelli's on my old Commodore and were very impressed with them.

At the moment:
ER300 = $220
Pirelli P1 = $210
P7 = $225/40.

Does anyone have any advice regarding tyres they've had that are available in 225/60R16?

Or suggestions of any other tyre that is a good choice.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
There are not very many premium tyres available in that size.

If I were you I would stick with the bridgestones and if you are happy with the Turanza get it again. After many many sets, I have never ever had an issue with any bridgestone tyre as the build quality and product quality control is good.

If you want a slightly "sportier"/"gripier" tyre, Bridgestone still offer the Potenza RE001 Adrenalin in a few very limited sizes - including (I understand) the 225 60 16. (The RE002 Adrenalin Potenza tyre has replaced most RE001 sizes but you cannot get the RE002 in your size).
I can highly recommend the RE001 which I had on a previous commodore for a number of years. Excellent wet and dry grip and these are very quiet running tyres. (The problem with most of the cheaper brands is the tyre is quiet when new but becomes as noisy as hell with 7-10000 kms of wear on it). The RE001 will be a little more expensive than the Turanza but not much. Expect about 45000 kms out of them with proper tyre pressures, rotation and alignment.

As usual with tyres you generally get what you pay for.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
All those tyres are similar the either of the pirellis are a little more soft for better grip and you might only get 35000 out of them. Between those three I don't think the difference in grip will be noticeable by much. Go for whatever deal is best at the time out of those options.