Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre Advice - VE SV6

Torke1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi Guys,
I need some new tyres for my VE SV6. I have had the car since new, and it is fitted with some Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's. They have been a great tyre (but you would expect that because they were apparently designed for the VE SV6). I have got 60,000 kms out of them which is fantastic.
I have been shopping around a bit and most places seem to recommend the following:
- Bridgesone Potenza RE050A (priced around $525 a tyre)
- Bridgestone Adrenalin RE0001 (priced around $405 a tyre)
- Yokohama S Drive (priced around $393 a tyre)
- Yokohama Advan (priced around $416 a tyre)
The dimensions of the current tyres are 245/45/R18 96V.
Maybe it is the fact that I am stuck in Canberra where there is limited competition, but I was a little surprised at the cost. I even rang Bridgestone and the RE050A's retail for $589 each! I am thinking I should stick with what I know and go for the RE050A's again, but I don't really want to spend over $2,000 on tyres when I will probably be looking to upgrade the car in about 12 months time.
Any advice on what to get?
Cheers,
Torke1.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
try the flaken ZE912 which are about $285 off the top of my head, nice quiet tyre and really good handling

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I would stick with Bridgestone but it's a matter of personal preference.

I recently fitted the Adrenalins RE001 to my Commodore and have found them to be very good in all conditions - wet and dry - highway and around town. They are also very quiet running.

I have never had problems with performance Bridgestones over many years and have always found the build quality and balance to be of a high standard. Durability is good as you have found. Comfort levels are also good even at high tyre pressures.

I cannot comment on the Yokos you have listed as I have never tried them.

SYD is only a 3 hr drive (less to Liverpool) so it might be worth your while getting some phone quotes on Bridgestones from dealers in and around the Liverpool area. I bought the Brid. Adrenalins on sale from a factory dealer in SYD(north side) and got a very good price. I found they were all willing to quote prices over the phone when phoning around for prices and stock and they had to get the tyres in for me. I expect you will pay close to full recommended retail price in CBR.

OZChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SS Sportswagon
I paid $350 for a RE050A, so you may need to shop around a bit more :)

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Try the Kumho range. They're quite a good tyre and excellent prices..

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
try the flaken ZE912 which are about $285 off the top of my head, nice quiet tyre and really good handling

x2

Great tyre!

Tyrepower Queanbeyan was the best price I found... and I didnt ring around either, drove to Tuggers, Woden, and Fyshwick too!
Convenient location near maccas/kfc, so book it in around lunch time youre set.

wally3218

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega, XJ jeep
You might have allready purchased new tyres but if you have'nt have a look at the Fedral tyres Federal Tyres Australia - ss595
I have these on my VE and there great and at around $230 each great value for a competion sports tyre