Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre advice

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Hi Folks,

Just a quick question.

Been looking around for some new feet for my SV6. My regular Tyrepower has some old stock Bridgestone 235/45 17's S-02's for $262.50 per tyre, drive out the door price.

Is that a good price for this particular model?:thumbsup:

So far got 39417km off the factory RE030's and NOT impressed at all by the noise they make when they get low.

Here's a couple of shots just for reference of the factory RE030's on a couple of ex WAPOL 'piggers' SV6's.

Here's an S0-3, which I might add are the most expensive at nearly $350 a pop!

And finally a B530 on an SV6.

I do like the stance of the Bridgestone made tyres.

Much better than these shitty $175 Nexen tyres which have about as much grip as roller-skates on ice!

rgds

Tom/WA

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
I would tend to agree the standard bridgie RE's are crap

ive had b530's on my old vx s pac and they are alright when they are new and very crap when they start to wear

i had g3 potenzas as a replacement on the vx after the b530's and they were a fantastic tyre lots of grip over the entire lifespan of the tyre (wet or dry) but they wore very quickly and were quite expensive for a 16" tyre $200+

i now have nexen 3000's (235/40/18) on my sv6 and i think they are a hell of alot better tyre than the standard RE's

that said a friend of mine had nexen 1000's or 2000's or something along those lines on his n/a vy s pac and they were absolute crap and honestly quite dangerous in the wet

so yes i was extremely sceptical about getting nexens but the owner of where i take my car to be serviced etc (also happens to be a tyre and rim seller) had nexen 3000's on his v8 crewman and couldnt recommend them enough and his word was good enough for me and i havent been disappointed so far (wet or dry)

ive also had wanli's and savas on my old s pac b4 it got sold

the savas are just plain nasty and i would recommend to steer well clear. rolling wheel spin in the dry from a n/a emotec (shows u how crap they were)

the wanli's however were a good tyre in the dry for there price but were a little suspect in the wet once they were well worn

i guess it boils down to not acting like a dick in the wet weather and most tyres will do the job well.

just my 2 cents mate

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just for comparisons, here's a 235/45 17 Bridgestome Potenza G3.

I do like these alloys.

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
I am the opposite to you guys, i hated how noisy the original tyres were on the sv6 but as they wore they got really quiet. I am currently looking for new tyres too, thinking about the Dunlop sp3000A's

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi QuIcksV6,

If you do get the Dunlop's could you please post a pic of them.

I'd love to see how they sit and look on the rims.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
ive got nexen 3000's on mine and ive got like zero grip on gravel, need to be in 3rd or 4th before i get grip and in the wet its not to good either. this could be because i have a ute though. :yeah: i think ill be changing to another brand once ive gotten rid of the tread of mine....not sure what yet though.

cheers

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I've been recommended a set of Nankangs for my next tyre purchase, still need to check them out but they have a very good wet weather tread pattern for about $150 per tyre for 18s.

The best tyres I've used were a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s, and they made very little noise indeed.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I've been recommended a set of Nankangs for my next tyre purchase, still need to check them out but they have a very good wet weather tread pattern for about $150 per tyre for 18s.

The best tyres I've used were a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s, and they made very little noise indeed.

Nankangs are crap. That's why they're so cheap!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Nankangs are crap. That's why they're so cheap!

Contrary to what others have said, where the only negative point they have about the Nankangs is that they tend to have a slightly softer sidewall than more expensive tyres but the tread pattern is great in the wet and dry...