Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre blew after 7000km

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cause is unknown at the moment. Got home from work night before, no issues. Drove to work next morning, 30 mins in tyre just started to deflate on the fwy. No kerbs hit or anything like that.

I've attached some (bad) photos.

Any recommendations for new tyres? I assume anything Pirelli or Michelin should be fine? And to confirm I should get 245 35 20s?

Looks like you picked up a puncture of some sorts....Having low profile tyres like you have, makes it difficult to spot a puncture...Running tyres below 15 PSI for a short distance is enough to cause a tyre to start to deliminate, which is what that one has done....

Just to confirm in your own mind, when the tyre comes off the rim, there should be a heap of rubber balls inside the tyre...This is a classic sign of running underinflated and the excess heat generated by the lack of air pressure combined with the tyre starting to deliminate, causes the rubber to ball up...

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Not sure how often your checking your tyre pressures but for a daily I’d be doing them every 2-3 weeks and pressure @ 38-40 psi with 20 inch low profiles

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I am running 19in Ackillies Tyres on my VE,
and last well for a cheap tyre, [aka: Tradies Tyres],
as the side walls are a bit thicker, and run the fronts at 36psi, and the rears 40psi, due the weight I carry in the back.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Cause is unknown at the moment. Got home from work night before, no issues. Drove to work next morning, 30 mins in tyre just started to deflate on the fwy. No kerbs hit or anything like that.

I've attached some (bad) photos.

Any recommendations for new tyres? I assume anything Pirelli or Michelin should be fine? And to confirm I should get 245 35 20s?
What's that? Almost looks like delamination (like when a retread begins to separate from the casing). Or it could be a tear (from running up against steel or even wood).

tyred.jpg

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
What's that? Almost looks like delamination (like when a retread begins to separate from the casing). Or it could be a tear (from running up against steel or even wood).

View attachment 217281
Thats the side wall of the tyre destroyed from driving on it while flat

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i think this is more of a problem!!!
tyre.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

View attachment 217281

Classic signs of running flat.....Look further around from the circled area and you can see more of it.....It just hasn't opened up as much