Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre blew after 7000km

Shootz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina
Realistically any brand of tyre in that size is going to have issues
Yes cheaper brands will have more issues but..
You have little sidewall to absorb impacts
And having worked in the tyre industry for 15 odd years wheels dont take much punishment either and if you live in nsw you know how bad the roads are

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Realistically any brand of tyre in that size is going to have issues
Yes cheaper brands will have more issues but..
You have little sidewall to absorb impacts
And having worked in the tyre industry for 15 odd years wheels dont take much punishment either and if you live in nsw you know how bad the roads are

It's not just NSW that has bad roads. This comes from someone that has been in the industry a little longer than you and has driven through a few different states....

This size tyre is more likely to suffer from tyre delamination due to the lack of side wall which means more difficult to pick up on low pressures when compared to a higher profile tyre by sight....

Cheaper tyres have nothing to do with delimination due to lack of tyre pressure.....

I have also seen well known brands suffer sidewall issues that aren't associated with lack of tyre pressure....Dunlops, Bridgestone, Kumhos, just to name a few well known brands....So tyre pricing doesn't have much to do with that either

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've never understood the appeal of big diameter rims, especially for street cars, the "look" does not justify all the negatives IRT, performance and cost

Smaller diameter gives more sidewall, which is really handy on our shitty roads

Plus, the tyres are typically $100 or more cheaper for the same width for the same brand

Plus, the extra sidewall helps with straight line grip as it can flex a little

Plus, the extra sidewall allows lower tyre pressure which greatly helps with compliance over rough roads

Best thing I ever did was remove the 19" rims that the car came with and put on some 17"

Meh, in the end just get some tyres that suit your budget, get an alignment and keep the pressures right

Speaking of budget, tyres are the only things stopping your car from coming off the road, if you drive your car "quick" think of this when you are thinking about your budget

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Hey guys,

I've got 20inch hsvi vf barettas on my SS, with powertrack cityracing tyres (225 35 20).

The tyres were put on brand new as part of the roadworthy back in April. I've done around 7000kms on the car since and yesterday the rear right blew.

Is that just the norm with shitty tyres? Or perhaps wrong size tyres on there?
They is the Problem because the tyre are are made in the chipmunk country.
Look below

POWERTRAC. The headquarters of POWERTRAC factory is located in the Chinese well-known hometown of tires-- Shandong province. Its products are known for high-quality and cost-effective, and are currently one of the top five private-run tire manufacturers in China.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They is the Problem because the tyre are are made in the chipmunk country.
Look below

POWERTRAC. The headquarters of POWERTRAC factory is located in the Chinese well-known hometown of tires-- Shandong province. Its products are known for high-quality and cost-effective, and are currently one of the top five private-run tire manufacturers in China.

Not all tyres that come from that chipmunk country are shite.....There are some that are made in that country that are recommended on this site....So be a little cautious when making comments like that

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've never understood the appeal of big diameter rims, especially for street cars, the "look" does not justify all the negatives IRT, performance and cost

Smaller diameter gives more sidewall, which is really handy on our shitty roads

Plus, the tyres are typically $100 or more cheaper for the same width for the same brand

Plus, the extra sidewall helps with straight line grip as it can flex a little

Plus, the extra sidewall allows lower tyre pressure which greatly helps with compliance over rough roads

Best thing I ever did was remove the 19" rims that the car came with and put on some 17"

Meh, in the end just get some tyres that suit your budget, get an alignment and keep the pressures right

Speaking of budget, tyres are the only things stopping your car from coming off the road, if you drive your car "quick" think of this when you are thinking about your budget

A 235/45X17, still has bugger all sidewall and is prone to missing a puncture at a quick glance. Also picking up a puncture whilst driving, especially with these small sidewalls, is also difficult to pick, hence having issues like the op has.

The same size can make a car ride like shite over our shitty roads.....It really depends on the car and how it was manufacturered with the springs and shocks to comply with our roads...

Tyre pricing is based on how common they are...So for our Commodore based factory fitament tyres, the prices will be cheaper than for something like a BMW..

As for budget tyres....That all depends on brands...The major manufacturers often have a budget range made elsewhere, that are nearly as good as their main brand.....So never discount that side of things

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Not all tyres that come from that chipmunk country are shite...
Well that the problem so which one do you get because people have hidden agendas $$$ Just image a Redline owner running chinese Tyres LOL.LOL.LOL,LOL.LOL. Look at Good Year Tyres but the Chinese have Good ride tyres. This show not be allowed. I had a argument with one owner that he said he got a good price on 4 GoodYear tyres but when I expected the car it was Good Ride Tyre and yet he still claims they are from Good Year. what a Croc!!!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not all tyres that come from that chipmunk country are shite.....There are some that are made in that country that are recommended on this site....So be a little cautious when making comments like that

No, some are worse than shite.....

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
A 235/45 has 105mm side wall

The OP's 225/35 only has 78mm

27mm is a lot more sidewall, hence compliance (suspension)

Currently I'm running 245/45 17 Bridgestone RE003 on my 8" SS VX rims which gives me a 110mm sidewall, tyres seem to be their overall best on the street at 36psi, yes they are a cheap tyre but they seem to perform ok on a heavy, >1500kg car, they were rubbish on my 1250kg Toyota 86 though, they are a 380 treadwear, so not really a performance tyre persay

The old setup was Hankook Ventus S1 EVO 3 255/35 19, 340 tread wear, on the rear, which was around 93mm sidewall

Running FE2 suspension the 17mm difference in sidewall made a big difference when it came to bumps in the road

Anyways, it really depends on rim width size, calibration and clearance, I believe the Berettas come in multiple fitments

What is the width of the OP's wheels?

A 225/35 will fit on 7.5-9" with a measured width of 8", tyre diameter would be my next point of call for choosing the right tyre or one close enough not to mess up things to cause a negative effect, what tyre diameter are these things stock anyway?

My "limited experience" with cars has lead me to the conclusion that for the street, I want "good" tyres with as much sidewall as practicable

I'm coming up for new tyres soon, In my perfect world, Hankook would make a RS4 in 245/45 17, but they only really do a 235/45 to suit my 8" rim, the Hankooks are fairly cheap, have a 200 tread wear, which is about as low as I would go for street duties, but they do last a surprisingly long time, they also give fairly good wet performance, and excellent dry performance, the RS4 is much better than the RE003, but would losing 5mm of sidewall be a compromise I would notice if I went to a RS4 235/45 ?

I went from RE003 245/45 to RS4 235/45 and the extra grip the smaller tyre with the better treadwear gave me was very noticeable

Meh, there are lots of tyres out there with different characteristics and different price points, as long as you use sound engineering principles to pick whatever you think is the best to suit your requirements, then all is well

Always test and adjust
20201114_120718.jpg.7471aa2556dfa8c5fd083ad75d392412_resized.jpg

I need more positive camber in the rear

Disclaimer: long off topic ranting post is long and off topic ranting

LOL

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A 235/45 has 105mm side wall

The OP's 225/35 only has 78mm

27mm is a lot more sidewall, hence compliance (suspension)

Currently I'm running 245/45 17 Bridgestone RE003 on my 8" SS VX rims which gives me a 110mm sidewall, tyres seem to be their overall best on the street at 36psi, yes they are a cheap tyre but they seem to perform ok on a heavy, >1500kg car, they were rubbish on my 1250kg Toyota 86 though, they are a 380 treadwear, so not really a performance tyre persay

The old setup was Hankook Ventus S1 EVO 3 255/35 19, 340 tread wear, on the rear, which was around 93mm sidewall

Running FE2 suspension the 17mm difference in sidewall made a big difference when it came to bumps in the road

Anyways, it really depends on rim width size, calibration and clearance, I believe the Berettas come in multiple fitments

What is the width of the OP's wheels?

A 225/35 will fit on 7.5-9" with a measured width of 8", tyre diameter would be my next point of call for choosing the right tyre or one close enough not to mess up things to cause a negative effect, what tyre diameter are these things stock anyway?

My "limited experience" with cars has lead me to the conclusion that for the street, I want "good" tyres with as much sidewall as practicable

I'm coming up for new tyres soon, In my perfect world, Hankook would make a RS4 in 245/45 17, but they only really do a 235/45 to suit my 8" rim, the Hankooks are fairly cheap, have a 200 tread wear, which is about as low as I would go for street duties, but they do last a surprisingly long time, they also give fairly good wet performance, and excellent dry performance, the RS4 is much better than the RE003, but would losing 5mm of sidewall be a compromise I would notice if I went to a RS4 235/45 ?

I went from RE003 245/45 to RS4 235/45 and the extra grip the smaller tyre with the better treadwear gave me was very noticeable

Meh, there are lots of tyres out there with different characteristics and different price points, as long as you use sound engineering principles to pick whatever you think is the best to suit your requirements, then all is well

Always test and adjustView attachment 217371

I need more positive camber in the rear

Disclaimer: long off topic ranting post is long and off topic ranting

LOL

You should have 235/45R17 not 245/45X17 on yur VX.....Hence more sidewall....

Your speedo should read incorrect with that size...

Yes the VX came from the factory with 235/45X17 so a little more compliant with our roads,