Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre pressure display not working correctly

WL Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman Caprice
Hi

I have a 2004 WL Statesman Caprice which came from the factory with the TPMS system.
I presume the TPMS system would be the same as what a VZ Calais came with.

When we first got the car when you selected Tyre Pressure with the mode button it showed a pic of a car with all 4 tyres and showed the pressure for each tyre.

For some reason now this display no longer works showing the pressure for each tyre.
All it shows now is Tyre Pressure and Normal ( or Tyre pressure sensor faulty if I put on the spare which I don't think has a TPMS sensor anymore ).

Also when I access the options menu I can select Tyre Pressure and Tyre pressure warning, but I never see Tyre pressure units.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Attachments

• Tyre 1.JPG
    Tyre 1.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Tyre 2.JPG
    Tyre 2.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 105

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Maybe the batteries in the sensors have finally failed?
Scanning with a Tech 2 might be able to confirm it.

WL Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman Caprice
Good point.
Can you change the batteries in the sensors ?

However, I know if I put the spare on I always get the Tyre pressure sensor error displayed. But when I put the original wheel back on the message goes away.
So I guess that means the sensor in the wheel I put back on is working somehow.

Also, if I select the Tyre Pressure option when the car is stopped it shows dashes ( as in ------- ) under the words Tyre Pressure.
Then when I start to drive ( after I reach about 40 kph ) the dashes disappear and Normal is displayed.
That kind of tells me the system can somehow see the sensors in the tyres ???

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Is this TPMS integrated into the system or has the seperate binnacle that sits up top?
Only ask as if its the later I can go grab the info book and have a play.

But have to agree with Imoegnr that it could be the batteries or something similar has finally given up, but it senses that the device is still there (not sure how those particular ones work)

WL Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman Caprice
The TPMS on my Caprice is integrated into the system. No seperate binnacle.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

WL Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman Caprice
I can get it to the stage where it asks to do something with the front left tyre ( I think to do this I pressed the up and down buttons when I turned the ignition to on ).
Tried lowering pressure by approx 10 psi at the front left tyre but nothing happened . juist went to the normal display.

I think u need a special tool / device to put near each wheel to go any further ?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can get it to the stage where it asks to do something with the front left tyre ( I think to do this I pressed the up and down buttons when I turned the ignition to on ).
Tried lowering pressure by approx 10 psi at the front left tyre but nothing happened . juist went to the normal display.

I think u need a special tool / device to put near each wheel to go any further ?

You've done everything correctly so far, maybe a 10psi pressure drop isn't enough? Although, it should be.
Can you reinflate your tire if you drop a lot of pressure?
WL's and WM's don't require a TPMS tool to relearn, the pressure drop method usually works. VF/WN do need a tool to activate the sensors.

If you know someone with a TPMS tool, it should work with WL/WM to relearn, and also interrogate each sensor for its battery condition.

WL Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman Caprice
I'll try deflate the front left tyre again by approx 15 psi this time and see if it continues to the next tyre in learning mode.

Re. the TPMS tool, I'd like to buy one in case I need it.
I see various ones for sale on ebay, how can I tell which one will work with my WL ( or VZ, should be the same ) ?

1596407056704.png

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll try deflate the front left tyre again by approx 15 psi this time and see if it continues to the next tyre in learning mode.

Re. the TPMS tool, I'd like to buy one in case I need it.
I see various ones for sale on ebay, how can I tell which one will work with my WL ( or VZ, should be the same ) ?

View attachment 212828

I have the Autel tool, it works with the VE and VF, I'd assume it should work with the WL as well.
It will also tell you the battery health of each wheel sensor, not sure if the cheaper tools do that.