Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre pressures

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
So I've had my first and last service at a dealer, and whilst they seemed ok, didn't rotate tyres despite stating they did, i noticed the tyres had way more pressure.
They have put 42 PSI into them.

Is this normal, ideal, and what do people generally do for a daily ?

Thx in advance :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I usually run 40, 42’s higher than I aim for but doubt I’d feel the difference. :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
I use the recommended 36psi (as per the driver’s door well) and got over 50K out of my original Potenzas. I reckon I could have gotten another 10K out of them but I was being too conservative. I aim to get 60K out of my current second set. Anything much more than 36psi and it’s a bit too harsh for me.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Doesn't pressure depend on rim diameter , I have 20" so I think 40 - 42 is right but for 18 - 19" might be 34 - 38 , width and profile would make a difference also wouldn't it ?

Last edited:

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
39-39 for “eco” and 39-44 fully loaded on the factory 17 inch rims

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
if you want a comfort ride use the manufacturer specs, if you want best handling and fuel economy i usually pump them to 5psi from the wall specs when cold.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Doesn't pressure depend on rim diameter , I have 20" so I think 40 - 42
more so sidewall height
but generally speaking if you double the rim diameter as psi, you are probably in the ballpark

im another one running 40psi on 20s

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
36 psi on the factory 19s,dont forget the pressure rises when hot at least 1-2 psi unless you run nitrogen.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
unless you run nitrogen.

the whole nitrogen thing is a scam to get people to pay money for essentially air.
the air we breathe or put into out tyres is about 78% nitrogen and removing that last 20% or so will not have much benefit at all apart from the "magic bat" theory where say a baseball player has a "magic bat" he believes he can hit better, in this case it is nitrogen filled tyres can make someone drive better or get better kms/performance out of the tyre.

you will find all sorts of marketing hype about inflating tyres with nitrogen but in the real world it is all rubbish and does not have any real effect for passenger vehicles.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Yep, with some people it’s easy to sell ‘snake oil’ like product and make a few bob in the process. Lots of such products on yen market.

As for nitrogen tyre fill, I’ve had it offered to me by the up-seller at the tyre shop. I replied “seriously, air is already 78% nitrogen” and his shoulders visibly sunk just that little bit. Needless to say the up-sell attempt was over :rolleyes:

As for “any real effect for passenger vehicles”, I’d go further and say it has little to no effect in most racing situations. And I’d suspect any nitrogen used in racing is a marketing attempt from the tyre suppliers to convince us that their “product” has merit.

[edited to add]
About the only real benefit of using nitrogen is that it contains no moisture and overcomes some perceived pressure change issues in humid locations. Such issues can be resolved by properly maintained compressors and dryers that removes any moisture from the compressed air. But seriously, many non enthusiast car people (the ones who race on tracks) would not be able to tell the difference in the handling of their road vehicle between 30psi and 40psi in their tyres; nitrogen or not o_O

Last edited: