Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre Recommendation Please

Delmar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Hi All,

I fear being that annoying bloke who asks the repetitive question, but I have done a few searches and not come up with anything specific enough. Feel free to link me to threads, or ignore...

I've been in ute and 4wd land for a long time so have lost touch with what's OK for my newly purchased VF SV6. It has BFG 245 45 zr 18's on it now, almost done.

I live regionally, little to no driving in traffic. I'm no p-plate hoon, but I do enjoy driving hard on winding roads (have to do Gloucester-walcha quite often if anyone knows it...). I'm after something quiet, with very good performance, can cope with the odd bit of dirt road, wear has to be OK but not as high of a concern as other factors.

I've had local shops recommend
> Michelin pilot sport ($260)
> Goodyear eagle f1 ($275)
> Vittora sport life ($156)
> Maxxis hp5 ($256)

I'm sure there's plenty of other options. Basically I don't trust tyre shops to suggest anything beyond what they have on hand. Understandable. I'm after recommendations from people who've driven something for a decent distance (10k km plus?), not just, 'my mate has had these for a week and love's em', etc etc.

Anyrate, hope I haven't missed the 'one-stop tyre thread', cheers for any replies.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I’m VERY pleased with my 18in FALKEN 914s.
Lots of grip if your after that.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Out of that list almost everybody will recommend the Pilot Sports. Will depend on who supplies your tyre shop as to what they will have access to if you want something really specific.

Have a look at the website Tyroola, if there's a participating tyre shop close to you they can ship the tyres there and theat shop will fit them. Just remember to do your final costing per tyre after the shipping and fitting fee has been applied.

RennRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Sportwagon
Hi All,

I fear being that annoying bloke who asks the repetitive question, but I have done a few searches and not come up with anything specific enough. Feel free to link me to threads, or ignore...

I've been in ute and 4wd land for a long time so have lost touch with what's OK for my newly purchased VF SV6. It has BFG 245 45 zr 18's on it now, almost done.

I live regionally, little to no driving in traffic. I'm no p-plate hoon, but I do enjoy driving hard on winding roads (have to do Gloucester-walcha quite often if anyone knows it...). I'm after something quiet, with very good performance, can cope with the odd bit of dirt road, wear has to be OK but not as high of a concern as other factors.

I've had local shops recommend
> Michelin pilot sport ($260)
> Goodyear eagle f1 ($275)
> Vittora sport life ($156)
> Maxxis hp5 ($256)

I'm sure there's plenty of other options. Basically I don't trust tyre shops to suggest anything beyond what they have on hand. Understandable. I'm after recommendations from people who've driven something for a decent distance (10k km plus?), not just, 'my mate has had these for a week and love's em', etc etc.

Anyrate, hope I haven't missed the 'one-stop tyre thread', cheers for any replies.

Hi @Delmar

Thanks for the question. I'm also looking to replace the shoes on my VF SV6 wagon and couldn't find any recent posts. Which Michelin PS model were you looking at, PS4 or PS4S? Which tyre did you chose in the end?

Cheers

Delmar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Hey mate, went for the PS4’s. Must be 5k on them now. Mostly country k’s, with some good hard driving on some twisty stuff. Very pleased. Have pushed them hard and very confidence inspiring. Wear might be the issue: time will tell. Although if they wear reasonably quickly that might reflect user as much as tyre...

RennRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Sportwagon
Hey mate, went for the PS4’s. Must be 5k on them now. Mostly country k’s, with some good hard driving on some twisty stuff. Very pleased. Have pushed them hard and very confidence inspiring. Wear might be the issue: time will tell. Although if they wear reasonably quickly that might reflect user as much as tyre...

Awesome, thanks mate!