Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre replacement choice

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The VY does the work run, Hamilton to Auckland which is pretty well exclusively Expressway/Motorway driving or just local driving around Hamilton. Don't need super sporty handling, though good feel in the steering is important, noise and ride are probably more important.

Last edited:

TeePee53

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV
Had Continental Sport Contact 5's on there previously as factory fit which were really noisy on coarse chip surfaces, harder riding but had awesome steering feel and very sharp handling. I kind of miss them already.
New Michelin Primacy 4 ST are so quiet by comparison its almost spooky.
I take it you would recommend the primacy 4 as a much quieter tyre ? I have hated the Continental 5's due to very noisy on anything but smooth surface.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I take it you would recommend the primacy 4 as a much quieter tyre ? I have hated the Continental 5's due to very noisy on anything but smooth surface.
HUGE difference. Like the difference between night and day.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Hey guys, still plenty of tread on the Conti's on my RSV at 23 kkms, but considering changing to 235/50s as per the Calais tourer when it comes time to replace them. I imagine outright cornering grip might be a little less, but ride could be a bit softer and quieter?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Been doing a lot of driving in this wet weather. The PS4S's have been serving me well, I now see why they are so expensive.
Hi mate, good on you, sounds like you're really enjoying your car and the best tyres in the world !!
I think all Michelins are great in wet weather, its arguably their strongest point. Most decent tyres are great in the dry, but very few are really great in the wet apart from Michelins. Primacy 4 are a great tyre too but not the last word in steering feel or steering precision but comfort and quietness are off the charts !

You'll change your gearing a bit going to the 50 profile tyres Matt. I wouldn't do it, I think you'd regret the taller gearing. If you want a much more comfortable ride, just go with the Michelin Primacy 4 245/45/R18's like I have done.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
On my 18s I ended up going with the brand Kenda. They were reasonably cheap and to be fair I've been happy with them wet and dry weather. About the same noise level as stock conti's

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
Had my tyres replaced finally. Was supposed to go for Goodyear Assym 5 but ended with Primacy 4 ST that had a promo (only $100 more than the Goodyears).

The set of Primacy 4 ST is made in Thailand. I am not sure what is the difference between Primacy 4 and 4ST other than the "ST" means silent tread (i.e. quieter?). Wrote to Michelin asking about the difference between the two and they could not come back with anything convincing either. Btw, the Primacy 4ST has "Primacy 4" imprinted on the side wall as well (unlike the Primacy 3ST which has the "ST" suffix). However, the Primacy 4ST does have a small (almost non legible - as small as the DOT dates) "ST" lettering found about 180 degrees from the Primacy 4 wording.

How do I find the tyres? I find it quieter than my changed out Michelin PS 4. Other than that, I think PS4 is a much better tyre in terms of handling and steering feel. For the first 2 days, I was very disappointed with the new tyres - felt wobbly and hesitant when driving above 100km/hr. Found out subsequently that the tyre shop had actually over-inflated the tyres (was at 41psi vs recommended 37-38psi). Felt much better after getting the pressures right - but still doesn't feel as good as the PS4. Noticed also that the fuel consumption has somewhat increased with the new tyres.

I have done 1500 kms on them since.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
Hi there. Has anyone replace there tyres on the RS AWD. I need a new set of 245/45/18 and was curious as to what others have replace the original Conti tyres with.
PS4S are out of my price range though.
I put michelin pilot 4S on my RSV much better than the contis.sharper steering less noise smoother ride.not cheap but worth it i think.

Day

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais
Hi everyone has anyone tried putting 245 ,40 r20 on zb calais v. Thinking about trying it as the 35 profile is terrible.