Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre replacement choice

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
After 51000 kms, it is time to bid farewell to my Michelin PS4 tyres. Left 2mm tread. Thought it would last further. Used to have a set of PS3 in my S60 Volvo that lasted 70,000 kms. PS4 tires are also a lot noisier now with lesser tread. They are good tires but will likely try something different. Looking at Goodyear Asymmetric 5 as they are supposed to have good reviews and lasts longer; also lighter on the wallet. Anyone has any experience with this tire?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Good to know. Not sure whether you have anything to do with it... the price of the Goodyear Asymetric 5 went up $20 per tyre within the last 24 hrs. sigh.
Not me mate. I fitted a set of Michelin Primacy 4 to my Calais V yesterday. I have 18 inch wheels on my car exchanged by dealer from an RS Commodore at the time of purchase. They're super quiet and comfortable, low rolling resistance and known to be long lasting but they're a touring tyre as opposed to a sport tyre so the trade off is the steering feel and sharpness of handling is reduced. Not sure I am going to be happy with them yet but I couldn't get PS4's in New Zealand, (Covid supply chain issues).

Sometimes you have to simply take what you can get.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
Not me mate. I fitted a set of Michelin Primacy 4 to my Calais V yesterday. I have 18 inch wheels on my car exchanged by dealer from an RS Commodore at the time of purchase. They're super quiet and comfortable, low rolling resistance and known to be long lasting but they're a touring tyre as opposed to a sport tyre so the trade off is the steering feel and sharpness of handling is reduced. Not sure I am going to be happy with them yet but I couldn't get PS4's in New Zealand, (Covid supply chain issues).

Sometimes you have to simply take what you can get.
Primacy 4 is a good touring tyre. In terms of handling & performance (at least within Aussie/Kiwi speed limits), I do not think you can feel the difference (vs PS4). It should be quieter and longer lasting than the PS4. Primacy would be my first choice but they are about $60/tyre more expensive vs Goodyear AS5 here.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Had Continental Sport Contact 5's on there previously as factory fit which were really noisy on coarse chip surfaces, harder riding but had awesome steering feel and very sharp handling. I kind of miss them already.
New Michelin Primacy 4 ST are so quiet by comparison its almost spooky.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I have a set of Pilot Sports 4 S waiting to go on the RSV. I bought them a couple of months ago to ensure I had them when I needed them. I actually wanted Pilot Sport 4's not the 4 S's but all there was left in the country at the time was the 4 S's.

The Conti SportsContact 5's have nearly done 47,000 which is way more than I expected over 10,000 km ago. Might get to 50,000 which I'd be very happy with.

Looking to forward to seeing how the Pilot Sport 4 S's go.

Also trying to decide on tyres for the VY. Have had several sets of Toyo Proxes T1R's for over 300,000 km. I've been extremely happy with them but they're no longer available. Put 2 Maxxis Premitra 5's on the front a while back and am not impressed with the way they feel through the steering, they feel quite squirmy. Now tossing up between the Michelin Primacy or Dunlop Sport Maxx 50+.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I am a little bit envious of your Pilot Sport 4 S's and I am sure you will really enjoy them. I got 36,000 km's out of my Continental Sport Contact 5's...felt there was another 5,000 km's in them but the local Holden dealer failed me on the 3 year warrant even with 2mm on them, which I thought was a bit harsh.

Feeling better about the Michelin Primacy 4 ST's now. Found out the guys that fitted them earlier this week had set the tyre pressures all over the map with the front right at 40 p.s.1. and front left at 36 p.s.i.. No wonder it didn;t quite feel right. Reset to factory spec which for the V6 ZB (there are three recommended settings, comfort, eco and maximum). 38 on the front and 36 on the rear works a real treat. Ultra comfortable tyre and as mentioned yesterday, so quiet its spooky. Good steering feel, (not great like the Conti's) and a little more body roll when cornering hard with the softer sidewalls are the trade-offs fore the super supple ride..

Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Think I might look at the Primacy 4's for the VY though having read the link above the Goodyear Asymmetric 5's look interesting. Not sure how they compare price wise here in New Zealand.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
At a guess I would say the Goodyears will be more sporty with better steering feedback and sharper handling but the Michelin Primacy 4's will be a LOT quieter, a LOT more comfortable and have considerably better durability. Price ?...this is a good website to check out Hyper Drive | NZ's largest range of | Tyre's | Wheels | Roof Racks | Car Audio | PH 0800449737 Grip in the wet ?...I have always rated Michelin's as the premium tyre for that.
Just as a final thought...all the reviews I have read on the Michelin's show they have amongst the lowest rolling resistance so you'll get better fuel economy and with the price of fuel in N.Z. now reaching truly scary level's that might be something else well worth considering.

Last edited: