Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre replacement choice

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
I just went on a massive hunt to try and find some tires for my VXR in Perth.

Tried to get the same Michelin Pilot Super Sport that came from the factory and there is none in stock anywhere.

Tried the Pilot Sport 4S... only answer I could get was an ETA of March-ish, but even then Michelin were unconfident on that.

Same drama with Pirelli P-Zero, Conti SC6, etc. no one has a 245/35 20 in WA and delivery was an expensive and slow process.

Eventually just decided to go with the Pirelli Dragon Sport which is significantly cheaper, but I guess we will see how much worse they perform.
Pretty happy with the Dragon Sports on my Calais V....

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I’ve always had a liking for the Kumho Ecsta range. Really solid mid-range tyre that won’t break the bank, wear well and perform in all conditions without being too loud at the same time.

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
I went for the Bridgestone Potenza RE003 at 4 for the price of one sale. So far I have been happy with quietness and grip with these tyres.
Just hope I can get decent km's on theses as the OEM Conti's did not last long

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
I went for the Bridgestone Potenza RE003 at 4 for the price of one sale. So far I have been happy with quietness and grip with these tyres.
Just hope I can get decent km's on theses as the OEM Conti's did not last long
That was my original choice - but Mycar couldn't supply them within a reasonable timeframe, so they offered me the Dragon Sports for the same price.

gem87

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Well, initial experience with the Pirelli Dragon Sport is looking great.

Cruising attitude is way smoother. Much less tire roar, much less sense of the imperfections in the road surface in the cabin.

In terms of dry weather grip and feedback in spirited driving, they also seem perfectly capable for my abilities. They are able to handle a full throttle merge into traffic at a T junction (about 1/4 steering input max) in VXR mode with TC off without fuss. Steering feel when initiating a turn seems no different to the stock Michelin's without a hint of numbness/vagueness.

This all says nothing of how long they will last on a track, how hard you can drive it and for how long before they cook etc. All things the Michelin's probable have it beat in.

But in terms of the every day driver who likes to have a few spicy corners on the weekend, I see no downsides from the Michelin Pilot Super Sport... And they are half the price, and they are actually available and not stuck in France.

TeePee53

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV
I have replaced my ZB 2L Calais 245/45/18 from ContiContact5s to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 after 61k mileage New tyres are noisier when travelling below 80 kmh. Other than that, Michelin seems to grip better when cornering and especially at high speeds. Got the PS4 from Tyroola - btw, they are China made.
Are the michelen tyres actually noisier than the continental ? didnt think that was possible. My continental are ok on smooth surface, but terrible on anything other than smooth, on previous cars I have had Bridgestone Potenza's re 050 and they were very good, I will change to them when these are worn.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
I have done 12k km on my Michelin PS4 now, surprisingly, the ride and handling have improved vs when I first got them. Btw, almost rear ended someone at Melbourne M1 this morning, luckily the auto brake system kicked in and the tires (and ABS) were superb in stopping - still had about 2 m to the car in front . Not bad considering I was braking from 100 kmh. Car did not skid or go out of alignment - still in a straight line.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I have done 12k km on my Michelin PS4 now, surprisingly, the ride and handling have improved vs when I first got them. Btw, almost rear ended someone at Melbourne M1 this morning, luckily the auto brake system kicked in and the tires (and ABS) were superb in stopping - still had about 2 m to the car in front . Not bad considering I was braking from 100 kmh. Car did not skid or go out of alignment - still in a straight line.

2 mts is a fair bit of room.... when you stop as close as you can without hitting that's when you know your brakes are good.

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
Hi there. Has anyone replace there tyres on the RS AWD. I need a new set of 245/45/18 and was curious as to what others have replace the original Conti tyres with.
PS4S are out of my price range though.

I know with the pandemic, SAPOL had issues sourcing the original Bridgestone's and were using a different brand that I hadn't heard of. They had pretty much cleaned out all the remaining originals. It was annoying, because I had four new tyres and got a puncture in Dan Murphy's car park which could have resulted in one tyre being different to the other three, except they patched it up.

I now use ContiSportContact 5's

Last edited: