Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre replacement preferences?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Ask around. Check to see if anyone stocks Fulda tyres. Fulda
The old man when he had a VY SS got 18k out of the stock bridgestones.
Bob jane recommend Fulda tyres, what porche's came with from new. Gripped better both wet and dry, did 20k on them and still had another 20k left in them before he sold it.
Cheaper too.

notmy SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
LC150 Prado M16 SSV
If you have a source that can get you Bridgestones cheap, I would recommend a set of RE003, very nice tyre overall (I have a full set on my SS ute and will probably put a set on my VY when it's due for tyres).

Otherwise the Nitto NT05 seems to be popular and fairly reasonably priced. Heard heaps of good feedback.

THE NT05 is a motor sport tyre at $800ea, prob not street legal either and not available in Australia. Did you mean NT830? Nitto claim only two tyres fit the 19" rim, the weird looking INVO and the NT830, neither are much cheaper than Potenza.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
THE NT05 is a motor sport tyre at $800ea, prob not street legal either and not available in Australia. Did you mean NT830? Nitto claim only two tyres fit the 19" rim, the weird looking INVO and the NT830, neither are much cheaper than Potenza.

NT05 is street legal, but I wouldn't advise them. Any water on the road and you're in for an interesting drive. They're basically a semi slick.

I'm quite happy with the invos on my car

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
To many Wheel Alignment mobs today give Excessive toe in on the front wheels (just in case if the car has the Railway line issue and THEY DON"T WANT YOU TO GO BACK WHINGING, TIME = $$$$$) thus wearing your tyre's out to quick. Trust Me! If you had money to waste do this.
Book your car into 10 Wheel Alignment places over 2 to 3 days and take your car to all of them and you will notice that all of them will adjust your wheel alignment and since this is the case that 90% of them will do this which one of them gave your car the best alignment?.
I Tell you this The best Wheel Alignment I've ever had was done by me using a Flat concrete driveway, Brick layers String, two car stands, a accurate Spirit Level, and two steel rulers one 150MM and the other 300MM. Do a Google and a Youtube on how its done. I hate having a steering wheel that is not in the correct position whilst driving on a Flat straight road (aca Brisbane to gold coast Hwy) and you will have this issue 50% of the time after you have paid some company mega dollars to give your car a wheel alignment.
For me the Least amount of toe in the better as you will find your front tyre's lasting a lot longer, Plus How many of you have a Compressor in your garage with Air Points around the garage for easy to put air in your tyre's if needed. I check my Tyre's pressures every Fortnight or if i'm slack every 3 weeks.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Tyres are very subjective. I've had a set of Michelin pilot super sports on for the past 10000km or so. They still have heaps of tread left and the grip is still orsome in both wet and dry. Mine are 18" so with 19" they may be a little expensive.

We have lots of corners where I live. I set a bit more agreesive alignment and it wears pretty even.
Front camber -2deg, toe in 0.3mm each side with max castor as u can get.
Rear camber -1.25deg and 0.75mm toe in per side.

You get great front grip and its very predictable running more -ve camber than the factory settings. I have to remove the front strut assembly's unfortunatly to install the white line front strut bar. I may experiment with -2.5 camber on front. That will probably be as much as I'd want to run on the street before it starts to wear the inside edges of the front tyres. Much better wearing the insides than the outsides IMO.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Camber is very subjective based on driving style, if you run 2 degrees and get into it fairly heavily around corners it will still wear tyres evenly (like my VY at 1.2 degrees when I was driving it), but if you don't drive it hard you're better off reducing camber for tyre life (said VY started wearing inners when it became my GF's car so I've now got it set to about 0.6deg).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39

Love them. Much grip, especially in the wet. Can only get from Kmart

Did K-mart tell you this bulldust? These tyres are available at Tyrepower, Jaks, Tyres and More, Bob Jane T-mart, just to name a few....Geez, even the local back yard mechanic, with a tyre fitting machine can buy these....So it goes to show the bulldust mentioned

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To many Wheel Alignment mobs today give Excessive toe in on the front wheels (just in case if the car has the Railway line issue and THEY DON"T WANT YOU TO GO BACK WHINGING, TIME = $$$$$) thus wearing your tyre's out to quick. Trust Me! If you had money to waste do this.
Book your car into 10 Wheel Alignment places over 2 to 3 days and take your car to all of them and you will notice that all of them will adjust your wheel alignment and since this is the case that 90% of them will do this which one of them gave your car the best alignment?.
I Tell you this The best Wheel Alignment I've ever had was done by me using a Flat concrete driveway, Brick layers String, two car stands, a accurate Spirit Level, and two steel rulers one 150MM and the other 300MM. Do a Google and a Youtube on how its done. I hate having a steering wheel that is not in the correct position whilst driving on a Flat straight road (aca Brisbane to gold coast Hwy) and you will have this issue 50% of the time after you have paid some company mega dollars to give your car a wheel alignment.
For me the Least amount of toe in the better as you will find your front tyre's lasting a lot longer, Plus How many of you have a Compressor in your garage with Air Points around the garage for easy to put air in your tyre's if needed. I check my Tyre's pressures every Fortnight or if i'm slack every 3 weeks.

I'll tell you what the problem is....Finding a place and or person, that knows how to read tyre wear patterns and how to adjust the alignment settings, according to the wear patterns on the tyre. Granted, this can be done at home with your methods, but by grouping every aligner in the same boat is wrong.

Yeah, you can go on you-tube and learn how to adjust the alignment settings, but you-tube can't teach you how to read wear patterns and adjust the specific alignment settings to maximise the wear of a tyre and you-tube can't teach you how to make the judgement call on how each and every specific driver drives their car so minute adjustments can be made, so the tyre wear pattern is correct.

A straight steering wheel on every road surface you might travel on, is impossible to achieve, because every road has a varying amount of camber to it, which effects how the steering wheel is positioned, to keep the car straight. The workshop I work at, the road camber varies enough to offset the steering wheel to the right by 1 degree, which would be enough to annoy you, with what you have written and is impossible to have it 100% to your liking .

Yes granted there are alot of "cowboy" aligners out there that look at a computer screen, adjust so the settings are in the green, meaning the settings are what some person has put as being in specific allowable range on a computer program, but have no idea on reading a tyre wear pattern and making those minute adjustments correctly to prevent irregular wear you mention.....

Tyre pressures....Yes, they effect alignment settings a little bit.....But tyre pressures will cause uneven wear on either both edges, or the centre of the tyre.....Incorrect alignment settings will effect just 1 edge of a tyre. So tyre pressures is another area, which is driver style and car specific, not something you-tube can teach you

So you-tube isn't the answer...Experience is.....and this is coming from a knob that deals with these issues all day every day and you-tube "experts" that live in their own little world...

Last edited: