Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre size question vs calais

CONNOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
what im wanting to no at the end of the day who here has a vs calais series 2 and what does your tyre plaque say that is located under ur bonet near the radiator..
does it say its 225 tyers ot does is say 215 or does it say fits both ?.

Two guys i no where changing my shocks and one mentioned that i had the wrong size tyres on the wheels..

It is a factory vs calais series 1 with vs calais series 2 rims

tyers on there are a 215 - series

He then explained that they should have been a 225 series.. (factory)

I asked him if he was certain of this he even said if you have the 215 on ur spare try and get it out ...

i checked and it is high and hits the boot hinge,,,

he says that 225 is factory and sits lower by 30 - 40 mm hence wont hit the hinge and speedo will be correct ..

can any one that has got vs calais series two wheel clarify this?.

I would check on the plaque but its for the 15s

Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You can get 225 or 215 in basically the same overall diameter.... that number is the width of the tyre.

Now to decipher the size of the tyre going by the size on the sidewall

XXX/YYR17

XXX
Is the width of the tyre, in your case 225 mm

YY
Is the aspect ratio or profile, you haven't mentioned this so will use 45 as an example
This is a percentage of the width and is the height from say the rim to the outer diameter of the tire
45% of 225 is 101.25mm

R is for radial, the type of tyre used on pretty much and vehicle these days

17 be the size of the rim the tyre is to suit.

Say you get a 225/45r17 and place it next to a 215/50r17, the 215/50r17 will be a 10mm thinner from sidewall to sidewall but will actually be about 2% larger diameter so it's actually taller.... by about 12-13mm...... so pretty much sfa difference when you start comparing used tyres, might be noticeable on 2 brand new tyres sitting side by side.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The S1 Calais had 205/65/R15 tyres. The S2 with its larger 16" x 7" rims has two tyres recommended, 225/55/R16 and 215/60/R16. I presume that these two tyres have different load ratings.

CONNOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
i will make it even clearer for you .

what is the factory plaque on a vs calais series 2 sticker say .

225 or 215 or both.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well right above POST #4 someone has answered what size tyres are on the placard for a series 2 VS.

what im wanting to no at the end of the day who here has a vs calais series 2 and what does your tyre plaque say that is located under ur bonet near the radiator..
does it say its 225 tyers ot does is say 215 or does it say fits both ?.

Two guys i no where changing my shocks and one mentioned that i had the wrong size tyres on the wheels..

It is a factory vs calais series 1 with vs calais series 2 rims

tyers on there are a 215 - series

He then explained that they should have been a 225 series.. (factory)

I asked him if he was certain of this he even said if you have the 215 on ur spare try and get it out ...

he says that 225 is factory and sits lower by 30 - 40 mm hence wont hit the hinge and speedo will be correct ..

can any one that has got vs calais series two wheel clarify this?.

I would check on the plaque but its for the 15s

Ok, now 3-4 cm is BS... but there is more to a tyre size than the 215 or 225 part...... Sorry for confusing you and contradicting your trained qualified tyre jockey friend.....

Using the correct sizes posted above....
Overall it'll be 10.5mm, a whole 1.05cm change in diameter. about the same difference as a brand new tyre compared to a bald tire of the exact same size and brand.

Now it is 32.99mm larger in circumference (much the same as a brand new tire next to a bald tire with the wire and canvas hanging out), at the end of the day the small change in size of the tire is not going to make much of a difference, if anything your speedo is going to be closer to showing the correct speed.... grab your phone and startup the GPS and see how far out it is.

594px-CIRCLE_1.svg.png

Last edited:

CONNOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Well right above POST #4 someone has answered what size tyres are on the placard for a series 2 VS.

Ok, now 3-4 cm is BS... but there is more to a tyre size than the 215 or 225 part...... Sorry for confusing you and contradicting your trained qualified tyre jockey friend.....

Using the correct sizes posted above....
Overall it'll be 10.5mm, a whole 1.05cm change in diameter. about the same difference as a brand new tyre compared to a bald tire of the exact same size and brand.

Now it is 32.99mm larger in circumference (much the same as a brand new tire next to a bald tire with the wire and canvas hanging out), at the end of the day the small change in size of the tire is not going to make much of a difference, if anything your speedo is going to be closer to showing the correct speed.... grab your phone and startup the GPS and see how far out it is.

594px-CIRCLE_1.svg.png
Well after taking your comment to a tire shop infact 3 of the including bridgestone , bobjanes , jaxs tire shop,
I have to say that you are the jockey in this case as 225 now is on my spare wheel and low and behold that the spare tire now fits in and out of the boot not hitting the boot hinge.

"""I asked him if he was certain of this he even said if you have the 215 on ur spare try and get it out ...

he says that 225 is factory and sits lower by 30 - 40 mm hence wont hit the hinge and speedo will be correct .."""

(and at the end of the day , they even mentioned as well that yes the speedo can be out in some cases...)

again thanks for your comments it just shows the internet has not changed ......:)

Thanks for others that posted ... thread closed.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You still have not given the entire tyre size, now you've quoted me, you can see I said the 215/60/R16 is approximately 10.5mm higher than the 225/55/R16, not 30-40 mm.

Now if it was the wrong size fitted say 215/65r16 then it'd sit higher by approximately 32mm (overall circumference then would be 100mm more)...... I agree that the internet hasn't changed here as you only supply 1/3 of the information required......

another example, comparing a 205/65r15 (standard commodore 15") to a 225/50r16 (VT commodore 16" on the placard, this may be the size on the VS S2 calais also will double check on monday when I have access to the book)
the 225/50r16 would be approximately 16mm smaller diameter sitting lower than the standard 15" so it fits in the spare wheel well without hitting the boot hinge.

Last edited:

CONNOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
You still have not given the entire tyre size, now you've quoted me, you can see I said the 215/60/R16 is approximately 10.5mm higher than the 225/55/R16, not 30-40 mm.

Now if it was the wrong size fitted say 215/65r16 then it'd sit higher by approximately 32mm (overall circumference then would be 100mm more)...... I agree that the internet hasn't changed here as you only supply 1/3 of the information required......

another example, comparing a 205/65r15 (standard commodore 15") to a 225/50r16 (VT commodore 16" on the placard, this may be the size on the VS S2 calais also will double check on monday when I have access to the book)
the 225/50r16 would be approximately 16mm smaller diameter sitting lower than the standard 15" so it fits in the spare wheel well without hitting the boot hinge.

1. I never quoted you a thing ,

2. you dont start calling my mates jockeys ....

3.As for the internet, i wasnt reffering to the internet as such ( i was reffering to people like you.....)

4. read the third last post and the last few words ?.

my issue has been resolved ......

Thanks again for your post...

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4

Well, I have a full size 235/45/17 wheel/tyre as a spare and yes it's a bit of a struggle to get it out when you need to. However, if you temporarily slide off the rubber stoppers that prevent the boot lid going any higher you can install/remove a full size spare quite easily, then replace the stoppers. The rubber stoppers slide off in the direction of the rear seat. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a 215 to fit.