Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre size VP series one

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
It is now becoming an issue finding quality sticky tyres for our cars. When I first purchased mine in 1994 with it's narrow track good torque and live LSD and stock Dunlops 205/65 it was like a car on ice skates when damp. Since then I try to find the softest compound 215/60 which helps especially since the restoration which included Pedders suspension but now I notice it's very difficult to find 215/60 . Up to now I used a Pirreli in the 90s but the stickiest were a Uniroyal and especially Yokohama. I'm happy to get 35k from them but don't know what I'm going to do when these Yokohama wear out.

Obviously with the VP they had IRS too which helps.

Testie

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Series Berlina LX
It is now becoming an issue finding quality sticky tyres for our cars. When I first purchased mine in 1994 with it's narrow track good torque and live LSD and stock Dunlops 205/65 it was like a car on ice skates when damp. Since then I try to find the softest compound 215/60 which helps especially since the restoration which included Pedders suspension but now I notice it's very difficult to find 215/60 . Up to now I used a Pirreli in the 90s but the stickiest were a Uniroyal and especially Yokohama. I'm happy to get 35k from them but don't know what I'm going to do when these Yokohama wear out.

Yes 215/60 are harder to find especially if you need one in a hurry to match the brand you have. I have decided to go with the original tyres fitted (205/65)
Thanks for everybody’s help.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
The tyre sizes I quoted were from the official VP/VQ GMH workshop manual, but I guess you could order anything from the options list when the car was ordered.
I run 205/65R15 Pirelli P6's and I'm very happy with them.
The tyre sizes you quoted are indeed the factory size for anything on steel rims but as soon as you add alloys to the mix the tyre size jumps up to the 205/65R15. I had the 185/75R14 on my vn with steel rims and when i got my vp calais with the factory alloys the tyres were the 215/65R15 pretty sure the reason being is that there was a brake rotor size increase.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The tyre sizes you quoted are indeed the factory size for anything on steel rims but as soon as you add alloys to the mix the tyre size jumps up to the 205/65R15. I had the 185/75R14 on my vn with steel rims and when i got my vp calais with the factory alloys the tyres were the 215/65R15 pretty sure the reason being is that there was a brake rotor size increase.

I believe V8Vp had bigger brakes....Tyre size was 205/65X15....

Back in the day, with 14" steel rims, you went to 215/65X14 on Commodores for a little wider tyre, that didn't break the bank

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Uniroyal a sticky tyre....:rolleyes: Don't think so...Yokies sure were...

Kumho still do a 215/60X15....Haven't searched too much for other brands that do that size, but wouldn't surprise me if some crap brand did them...It's not a big demand for that size.....Most people like upgrading rim size, rather than tyre size these days

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I believe V8Vp had bigger brakes....Tyre size was 205/65X15....

Back in the day, with 14" steel rims, you went to 215/65X14 on Commodores for a little wider tyre, that didn't break the bank
My VP Calais was a v6 put the stock steel wheels on it from the VN when i put the alloys on the VN to get new tyres and couldn't move the Calais as something was rubbing sounded steel on steel from the front so i would guess the v6 also got larger brakes

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My VP Calais was a v6 put the stock steel wheels on it from the VN when i put the alloys on the VN to get new tyres and couldn't move the Calais as something was rubbing sounded steel on steel from the front so i would guess the v6 also got larger brakes

My daughter has a V6 VP executive with 14"wheels....I'm aware the V8 VP got larger brakes but not aware of V6 ones having them, unless they were changed at some point....Or perhaps the up market models got them...

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
P185/75 tyres were originally only fitted to V6 Executives and Berlinas with 6.0JJx14 steel wheels. Everything else got P205/65 tyres.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Uniroyal a sticky tyre....:rolleyes: Don't think so...Yokies sure were...

Kumho still do a 215/60X15....Haven't searched too much for other brands that do that size, but wouldn't surprise me if some crap brand did them...It's not a big demand for that size.....Most people like upgrading rim size, rather than tyre size these days

Only one set of Uniroyal I purchased around 2000. Got about 28k out of them.and they had an umbrella symbol Made in Germany.

Have you had much experience with the Kumho.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Only one set of Uniroyal I purchased around 2000. Got about 28k out of them.and they had an umbrella symbol Made in Germany.

Have you had much experience with the Kumho.

Been running them for 10 years, or there abouts....225/50X16....First were KU21...Absolute shite in the wet....Went to the KU 22....Still running them on my VC...Not sure but I think it's my 3rd set....I also have PA51's on the front of my VY and Ku22 on the rear of that....No complaints with the KU22 or PA51