Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre Sizing

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
G'day Guys.

I tried a massive search on this one, but didn't really come across a clear and definitive answer.

Basically - Last week I picked up a set of VE SSV Wheels with 245/40/19 tyres.

I machined the centre bores out today to suit pre-VE hubs (in this case mine is a VY SS Ute) and found that the wheels fit perfectly on the rear with SSSL springs and 245/40/19 tyres.

The front however is a different story. The front is lowered on SL King Springs and the 245/40/19 are hard up against the strut towers.

Just wondering what size tyres would be the best to use? 235/40/19 or should I be moving to a 35 series profile?

The spec of the tyres on the VY SS wheels, that came with the car, are 235/45/17. Am I right in thinking that moving to a slightly narrower tyre, the setup will clear the strut assembly?

Cheers for any help guys and sorry for the bombarding with tyres sizes.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
245/35R19 was standard on some VZ HSV models i believe, so should fit.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
19"/40 series were std for VE's but 35 series was std for VT-VZ's with 19"s.
As TMM saud std size for HSV Z's was 245/35x19 and with that you have about 5mm clearence at most from the spring seat on the front strut.
You can fit 245/40series tyres with coil overs but you may still have rubbing when turning the tyres as my 245/35x19's rub on my plastic inner guards at full lock on 19x8.5/40P wheels.

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Cheers for the replies fellas. Settled for a brand new Hankook Ventus Evo2 in 245/35/19.
I managed to get a hold of an SSV wheel with the same profile and it fit perfectly...awesome!

Thanks again for the help!