Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tyre wear and VT's

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Hi all,

just had my car in at bob jane about an irregular wear im getting from my rear wheels, whats happening is the inside of the passenger wheel is wearing away (had the tyres for 2 weeks) anyway i thought they stuffed the camber when doing the wheel alignment but after speaking wit the boss he said this was a common problem with VT's, can someone please explain why this is so? also found out I have a camber kit in there as well, could this be causing the problem? it's not lowered.
don't get me wrong im not havin a go at the boys down at bob jane just wondering how many others have noticed it

Thomo

UNLEASH THE LION WITHIN
Reaction score
Members Ride
FAMILY VT & HONDA 04 CRF250
Im not to shore but that doesnt sound right.ive got my vt lowered with king spring lows & no camber kit getting around 20,000 to 25,000 kls out of them.Have tyre wear on the inside rears but if you rotate front to back make them last longer.Ive been told its because of the irs & not much can be done.
Cheers

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
i think its common with IRS on the VR-VX, i notice that the wheels are at an angle with IRS (no problems with live axle), apparently on the VE they made it straight.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Personally I'd take the car somewhere else for a second opinion and wheel rotation and alignment. I'm sure Holden wouldn't have released a car that wears the inside tyres out within 2 weeks of driving.

Get your rear shocks tested as well... they'll cause excesive tyre wear if they are stuffed.

Last edited:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
heeno said:
Hi all,

just had my car in at bob jane about an irregular wear im getting from my rear wheels, whats happening is the inside of the passenger wheel is wearing away (had the tyres for 2 weeks) anyway i thought they stuffed the camber when doing the wheel alignment but after speaking wit the boss he said this was a common problem with VT's, can someone please explain why this is so? also found out I have a camber kit in there as well, could this be causing the problem? it's not lowered.
don't get me wrong im not havin a go at the boys down at bob jane just wondering how many others have noticed it

Ok.. VT's suffer from premature tyre wear. The IRS really f*cks things up. Some owners of VT/VX series 1's suffered from crazy tyre wear, some were replacing their tyres every 10,000km. You know it's a camber issue if the inside of the rear tyres are going..

The problem was rectified in the Series 2 VX with an adjustable control arm, but that means **** all to you.

Your camber kit probably isn't installed properly and you also need a four wheel alignment and don't give it to a tyre place to do. Take your car to Pedders and let them fix things up for you.

Start of with a $10 safety check to get them to check your camber and take it from there..

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i had wear on the inside of my old vt with hard compound tyres.
then i lowered the rears on superlow with lovells and kyb shocks, fronts on lovells lows, and put a 4POINT CAMBER kit and 4 wheel alignment.

then with soft tyres i was getting no inside tyre wear... the fronts wore worse than the rears LOL ....you'd be amazed what a 4 point camber kit can do....GET ONE and go to a suspension place not bob jane....

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
TWO WEEKS?!?
ive worked as a wheel aligner and tyre fitter and never came across tyre wear quick unless somebody forgot to tighten the tierod ends.
i'd be demanding new tyres 4 free if i were u.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Umai Naa!! said:
Are these backwards compatible?

Ie. can I put these in my series 1 VX?

You would have to replace the your whole series 1 IRS setup

with a series 2 IRS setup.