Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres rubbing with narrower VL diff

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Im just wondering if anybody else running a VL diff has the same problem?

I put it in to upgrade to 3.45:1 gears and LSD (I'm loving it :yeah: ) but because the whole unit is narrower than the VN diff, both back tyres rub on the inside sidewalls (I don't need an adjustable pan hard rod, both tyres rub equally). I'm running 225/50/16 tyres on SS rims. It only does it pulling into driveways or going hard around a corner and hitting a bump. Oh yea it's got ultra lows in the back.

Is there spacers or anything available to fix this? Or anyone know of another way? I only need a tiny bit more clearance on both sides.

Cheers

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
spacers are illegal in SA i not sure in new zealand but is it worth it making it illegal if it is?

the rubbing would be beacuse the vl rear axel is 1 inch smaller then the vn axel, when people do the swap of vn rear to vl it stops the abillity of using wider rims meaning have to stick with narrow stockies

possible solution is get a vn housing and place the vl lsd centre in that using all the gears, and get the axels lengthed to fit.

didnt vns have 28 spline axels? if so find a pair and slide them in assuming you have the 28spline vl lsd

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
heres a novel idea ... throw out the VL diff and put 3.45 gears on YOUR diff ?????

why the hell would you put a vl diff in a vn just to have higher gears?? gears are just one part of the diff..

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
heres a novel idea ... throw out the VL diff and put 3.45 gears on YOUR diff ?????

why the hell would you put a vl diff in a vn just to have higher gears?? gears are just one part of the diff..

What he said ^^^^

Even for the LSD you should have just taken the housing out and swapped that over as all the VL LSD diffs were 4 pinion, 28 spline diffs just like the VL.

Im presuming its a VL Turbo diff to be 3.45 LSD, as the NA diffs were not LSD and the V8 LSD diffs were 3.08 ratio's.

The VN Group A and SV5000 used the VL Turbo diff to fit the wider rims under the guards, however they werent sitting on ultralows.

I blame the problem on your ultralows, either get superlows or put a VN diff back in your car.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
pretty sure spacers are ilegal here also, but if you put longer studs in the axels and do nice job i bet they wouldn't even pick it at WOF time. however, seeing as you gotta pull the axels out to do this i'd go with the others and fit 3.45 gears and LSD center to your VN housing and do it the right way and have no more hasles etc. whats the VL housing worth these days

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The VN Group A and SV5000 used the VL Turbo diff to fit the wider rims under the guards, however they werent sitting on ultralows.

They also used rims with a different offset, largely to widen the front track without major hardware changes. And a wagon diff. width, which is different to sedan in VK, VL.

That might be one solution - use VQ or VP IRS rims, front and rear. (There's no chance of finding SV5000 or GrP A rims at a reasonable price.) Easier than swapping diff. centres.

VL rear track, sedan: 1433mm

+ IRS offset of 34mm (2X17mm): 1467mm

(VN rear track sedan: 1478mm)

Enough to clear?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
They also used rims with a different offset, largely to widen the front track without major hardware changes. And a wagon diff. width, which is different to sedan in VK, VL.

That might be one solution - use VQ or VP IRS rims, front and rear. (There's no chance of finding SV5000 or GrP A rims at a reasonable price.) Easier than swapping diff. centres.

VL rear track, sedan: 1433mm

+ IRS offset of 34mm (2X17mm): 1467mm

(VN rear track sedan: 1478mm)

Enough to clear?

Are you sure they used wagon diffs? There were no VL Wagons with 4 pinion, 28 spline diffs and a 3.45 ratio. They used the VL turbo diffs from the VL range from everything I have seen, heard and read. And as far as I know, there were no wagon turbo's :p

Also the VK had a shorter diff than the VL and the difference in track width is not purely the difference in diff size. I believe its ~21mm each side.

There are a fair few VN/VP's that have fitted VL Turbo diffs anyway and are not having this trouble.

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
There are a fair few VN/VP's that have fitted VL Turbo diffs anyway and are not having this trouble.

Yea I thought it was fairly standard practice because it's much easier to just chuck the whole unit in than have to set all the backlash ect when changing the gears. I was also hoping that it would give me more clearance on the outside to upgrade to some wider rims.

I can't afford to pay a diff shop to change the gears for me (I've been getting some pretty big quotes) so I'll give it a go myself. Everything I've read on this forum says stay away from doing it yourself but I'll give it a go once uni finishes. I'm reasonably confident pulling a diff to bits, I've tightened the LSD a couple of times but haven't played with setting up gears before.

That's a good idea Cheap6, it might be worth getting some different offset rims since I was thinking about going wider some time.

immortality I picked up the complete VL turbo LSD for $150 (just needed to be reshimmed) but I've had an offer for $600 for it. I just keep my eyes peelled. TradeMe's a ripoff for some parts such as LSDs and coil packs.

Oh and I thought the VN Group A used the VL Turbo (sedan) diff too..

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I won't argue it to death but my memory says VL wagon diff. for SV5000 at least. I was assuming that the GrP A was the same. The centres could be very easily the same as VL-T in the wagon housing (axle tubes). With sedan mounting brackets obviously.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I won't argue it to death but my memory says VL wagon diff. for SV5000 at least. I was assuming that the GrP A was the same. The centres could be very easily the same as VL-T in the wagon housing (axle tubes). With sedan mounting brackets obviously.

The centres could be the same but in the wagon housing yeah, but it would need the VL Turbo/V8 axles also.

Hmm and generally, knowing Holden, they would have just put a complete diff in without changing bits around. Look at VB to VP with suspension, VN to VZ with chassis etc.. Carry over parts up until the VE were a shocking habit of Holdens (Same with Ford...such as the Territory being modified off the AU wagon).