Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres rubbing

VXLS12002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hey guys and gals,
I'm having a problem with my front tyres rubbing in places on my VX.
I have 20's fitted and know they are making contact with the piece of plastic that runs down in front of the tyre, behind the bumper, but on closer inspection I fear that they may also be rubbing on the bottom cradle of the strut assembly!
Has anyone had this problem before?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
what are the tyres specs and offset of the rims???????????

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Yeah comes down to your tyre profile I'd say. xxx/35/R20 will rub, but xxx/30/R20 will not in most cases. Just bend the plastic wheel arch liner out a bit and try make it stay there somehow if it's not rubbing too bad. You definitely do not want it rubbing on strut tower at all.

All dependant on if it's lowered, rim offset, tyre size etc etc and then it's trial and error on each car, you're really pushing the limits so it's gunna be tight.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/185565-whats-best-tyre-size-put-20-inch-wheels.html

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/190173-tire-rubbing-sound-when-slightly-turning-left.html

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
i don't have 20's but i have 18's and mine scrubbed here all of a sudden, got a wheel alignment and fixed it. measure the gap on both sides and if not the same get a wheel alignment maybe.
p.s. why to ebay sellers have front struts for 19in and larger rims? is the spring seat higher?
i got a set suited to 19's or larger as i want 20's when i'm due for tyres but didn't look any different

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
i don't have 20's but i have 18's and mine scrubbed here all of a sudden, got a wheel alignment and fixed it. measure the gap on both sides and if not the same get a wheel alignment maybe.
p.s. why to ebay sellers have front struts for 19in and larger rims? is the spring seat higher?
i got a set suited to 19's or larger as i want 20's when i'm due for tyres but didn't look any different

I've noticed that too on Ebay. I had 19's on my VT and while I had a bit of guard rub, no issue with the strut clearance. From what I observed, 20's would have more clearance than the 19's. I don't get it either. Maybe just a marketing ploy for those who don't know better? Who knows?