Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres - Yokohama S221 or Bridestone RE050

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
i have been told before never argue with an idiot, why didnt i listen.

WTF? Buddy you said the tread pattern on the tyre directly related to how easy it is to rotate wheels on a car. Fact is, it's the same process no matter what the tread pattern....... Where you're rotating the wheels to has no baring on how easy the process is.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I think what he's referring to is that you technically don't have to rotate an asymmetrical tyre on the rim itself to swap it from left to right sides (though you SHOULD if you're running any kind of camber).

Have to say though, I definitely prefer a directional tyre.

madafuel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Executive
YOKOHAMA S221 are fitted to my MY11 SV6.

They are without the worst tyre I have used in the past 13 years.

My previous Commodore; VEII Police Pack FE2 etc was fitted with 225/50-15s, Dunlop A4 LeMans and then Bridgestone G3. It was a delightful car to drive in the windy stuff, it steered beautifully will the right balance of steering response and feedback.

As a windy road drivers car my SV6 has been a shocker from day 1, mainly dull steering response and tram-lining at conventional/city speeds. Push it on the highway and, once the spoilers started loading the suspension the steering response improves. It has had a wheel alignment (no improvement), and the 5 wheels are rotated at each service (a worthwhile investment that spreads the wear around) There is no value in having a brand new tyre that has been paid for sitting in the boot not being used.

Last month I drove a MY13 SV6 on Bridgestones and it is hard to believe it was the same chassis as my current car. It steered as my VEII did and as I expected a SV6 to.

I would not encourage anyone to buy Yokohama S221 tyres.