Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres - Yokohama S221 or Bridestone RE050

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Guys,

It seems that two of my tyres are out of round and causing alot of road noise and tramliming issues and like usual the dealer is blaming the wheel aligners and blaming me for not forcing them to rotate the tyres as they should of done when it was serviced 3000kms ago.

In any case i have decided to replace all 4 tyres and keep one of my exisiting good tyres and mount it on my spare rim as the spare.

I have been offered a set of 4 x S221's or 4 x RE050 however i don't know which ones to choose. The S221 were quite loud but i have no idea what the RE050 are like in the noise and ride department.

Any comments welcome.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
apparently the S221's are low resistance tyres.... good for fuel economy but not as good for grip and road noise.
the potenza's (RE050) are a decent tyre, but in my opinion dont last very long. they are however, comfortable, quieter, and give good grip.

i guess it's a matter of personal preferences..... both are decent brands, but one is longer lasting, noisier, and rates less performance wise.... while the other is better performance wise and quieter, but wont last as long. its soft tyre compound vs hard tyre compound.

my absolute favourite tyre is the falken 452, so my first suggestion would be to see if you can get a credit towards a set of those! but if I was to pick from the 2 above, I'd go the potenzas. they arent unreal by any stretch... but i prefer performance at the expense of km usage.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Thanks. I actually purchase some Falken FK452's for my earlier car VRX Magna AWD and they were extremley noisy. We then tried them on a BF Falcon and the owner couldn't wait to take them off as they made a racket, especially when pulling up.

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
Thanks. I actually purchase some Falken FK452's for my earlier car VRX Magna AWD and they were extremley noisy. We then tried them on a BF Falcon and the owner couldn't wait to take them off as they made a racket, especially when pulling up.

+1, got the falken452s on my car. Very noisy when slowing down etc although it's negligable on freeway speeds. They are ,however, a very good tyre performance wise. Good grip in the wet and last for ages.

Taroona

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportswagon now sold have a 2002 VU Storm V6
We had RE050 on our 350Z only lasted 30K. Held the road well as they are soft. A bit noisey but have changed to Zumitomo HTR ZIII. Much quieter, hold well, only been on for 3K. Cheaper than the Bridgestone as well

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I've found the 221 tyres real good. They grip well in both the wet and the dry and I've put 17000 on them now and wearing well. I've not noticed any bad road noise and would get them again if priced OK.

Last edited:

wake jake

Reaction score
Members Ride
SIDI SV6 Ute
Another +1 for Falken FK452s up front and find them great for grip. Haven't found them noisy at all compared to the REA50s. Have Yokohama AES1000s on rear and cannot fault them. Mind you they've only been on for 2500ks. But the REA50s are a quality tyre sadly only downside is the price

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
I would lean towards the RE050s.

I think that is a load of bollocks about rotating however. When mine was in for a service with Holden + wheel alignment/balance/rotation special, they wouldn't rotate them because of uneven wear. Confused me greatly as this was Holden not recommending a rotation.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Yet another one for 452's. If you want road noise get some Khumo KU25s. My parents have them in 225/35/20s on their Forrester and they are the second worst I've ever heard (behind Firenza ST-08s).

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I would lean towards the RE050s.

I think that is a load of bollocks about rotating however. When mine was in for a service with Holden + wheel alignment/balance/rotation special, they wouldn't rotate them because of uneven wear. Confused me greatly as this was Holden not recommending a rotation.

I had the head mechanic come out with me for a drive and the first question he asked was if i rotated the tyres. The guys at a tyre shop i went to today said the same thing. Apparantly the wheel alignment specs from factory is very ordinary and they tend to chew out rear tires quickly however as my car was in an accident and repaired i trusted the wheel alignment which was done but it seemed to be way out and now i have two ####ed tyres!