Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres?

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by travelprosv6, Sep 29, 2009.

1. adr8

adr8 Member

Members Ride:
    E3 Clubsport R8
    cheers guys will be getting the falkens

2. Johnsy

Johnsy ★★★★★

Members Ride:
    VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
    At least you don't have to get 275/30/20's !! I nearly fell of my chair when quoted $905 per Tyre ( this was in 2009 )... I am sure i will get them a lot cheaper now than that, but will be sticking to what the manufacturer put on my car as they are tested and prooved at very high speeds in bad conditions.... It amazes me how people can drop 40-50K + on a car then become tight asses when it comes to what keeps you and your family safe on the road !!

3. vicarious

vicarious New Member

Members Ride:
    VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
    next set of tyre im going to try out these Dunlop Tyres - Sp Sport Maxx Tt

had kuhmo ku19, falkens 452 & were noisy when at about half wear, have OEM yokahama's on the wagon and only done 7k kms and are noisey

4. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack
    Just looking back over this thread with regards to including my "spare" Bridgestone Potenza RE05OA 245x 45R18 96V.

To cut a long story short, I never did include that brand new spare in my rotation plan, she stayed in the boot until today.

Those Bridgestones have to be the best tyres I've ever had, I've had my VE for 4 years and seven months and there's still good tread on the tyres, they have about 1.5mm from the "Tread wear markers". Reckon I could have got quite a few more K's but decided to change them.

Ended up getting 41,700 km which I'm pretty happy about.

Today the new set are similar but instead of being 96V (96V OEM) they are 100V.

Does any one know if the different V rating has a different compound or are the 96 V and 100 V exactly the same? I don't know how a load rating varies?

Cheers

5. CALAIS08V8

CALAIS08V8 Scott

Members Ride:
    Calais V V8 60th
    I couldn't agree more , ive got 46000 kms so far from the original Potenzas and i reckon they will be good until about 50000kms (245 40 19 98Y) . They aren't cheap at $350 to $400 each but well worth it IMO. Good balancing, tyre rotation and correct inflation is a must to get long life from a tyre. I rotate at least every 10K ( i think every 5k is overkill) and run them at 38PSI all round.

The load rating 96 is good for 710kg per tyre and the 100 rating is good for 800kg per tyre . Speed rating (240km max) is the same. Im assuming ( i could be wrong) that the compound will be the same and only the ''structural'' part of the tyre is stronger with the increased load rating.

Ill be def getting Potenzas again.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack
    Goodaye CALAIS08V8

Thanks for load ratings.

I checked Bridgestones web-site, they say the Overall Diameter (OD) of an un-loaded tyre for the 100 V is 678mm and the 96V is 674mm.

sizes for this pattern
    http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/treads/re050a.aspx

I'm not sure how the difference of 4mm effects tyre performance but I'd sure like to know.

My Commodore was the 60th Anniversay with those spiked looking OEM mags, so I'm not sure if the 100V are ok??? Having said that, the tyre dealer tends to think they are ok.

Weird really, because I ordered the exact same OEM tyres (Bridgestone Potenza RE05OA 245x 45R18 96V) but they got in the 100V instead.

Once the car was ready for pick-up I noticed the 100V; asked them why they fitted the 100V's instead of 96V's that I requested, they gave me some story about bla bla bla.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  7. CALAIS08V8

CALAIS08V8 Scott

Members Ride:
    Calais V V8 60th
    Id be concerned , 4mm is quite a bit if the other 3 tyres are different . It has to affect the car in some way , vibration at speed being one i would think. Have a look on the drivers side pillar , there should be a tyre placard there with correct tyre specifications,pressures etc.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack
    I nearly drove away from the dealer with 3 x 100V's and one 96V fitted but I went back in the shop and told them I wasn't happy about the mix of ratings.

Ended up, they took my 96V and replaced it with another new 100V so all's good. :)

Just after posting the original message on here, I emailed Bridgestone about those wheels of mine and the tyres, here's the official reply from Bridgestone.

The 245/45R18 RE050A 100V tyre has been the 18-inch fitment for the VE Holden Sportswagon while the 96V rated tyre was fitted to some of the sedan models. A couple of years ago the decision was made to fit the 100V tyre to all of the 18-inch VE Commodore vehicles from new (Commodore SS, SV6, Calais-V, International). As such fitting the 100V to your vehicle should not create any safety issue at all. There will be a slight dimensional change between the specifications (change in crown radius and slight increase in overall tread depth) which will account for the minor change in overall diameter however it is within the 15mm tolerance stipulated by the Roads and Maritime Services (previously RTA).

I would simply suggest that as you are looking to replace your tyres, at least fit the 100V product in pairs (both tyres on the same axle) to ensure there is no dynamic handling change that may occur running one of each tyre on the same axle.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me on the number below, or respond directly to this email.

Cheers

9. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    another KU31 owner here, have them on both the Monaro and the Clubsport - quiet and decent performers - sidewalls are a little soft but they are great bang for buck.

10. Sean880

Sean880 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
    Motor Magazine 2012 Tyre Test

"With testing undertaken at Sydney’s Eastern Creek Raceway, V8 Supercar driver, stunt driver and driving instructor Warren Luff was behind the wheel of a MY12 Mitsubishi Evolution X MR, putting nine 245/40R18 size high performance road tyres through their paces.

The tyres were tested in four separate challenges – Figure Eight Road Circuit, Wet Skidpan, Dry Slalom and Emergency Braking – with scores averaged across three attempts for each.

Silver Medal for Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
    Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT also polled extremely well in the 2012 MOTOR Magazine Tyre Test, taking out the Silver Medal and being dubbed “a smart choice for all round capability” by the magazine.

Overall MOTOR Magazine Tyre Test results
    1Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
    2 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
    3 Toyo Proxes T1 Sport
    4 Kumho Ecsta LE Sport
    =5 Maxxis Victra MA-21
    =5 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
    7 Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002
    8 Duro DP-8100 "

Source: Gold Medal for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

11. aaronevolution

aaronevolution Donating Member

Members Ride:
    TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
    I don't understand how they can't include Michelin or Pirelli in the tyre test, but can include some of that other crap. They are probably the only 2 brands that I would buy.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack
    Edit: Should read Thailand, not Indonesia)

Need your opinion!

Are Bridgestone Potenza Tyres made in Indonesia the same as Japan?

I was looking at my new tyres and for some unknown reason they just didn't look right!

I checked the original OEM Bridgestone that is now the "spare", it says made in Japan.

These new tyres I have say made in Indonesia.

Are they the same tyre?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  13. aaronevolution

Members Ride:
    TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
    Bridgestone have 47 tire plants around the world. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack
    Edit: Should read Thailand, not Indonesia)

Cheers

They look like seconds!

I checked my original spare, the sidewall definition looks clean, clear and crisp, the new Indonesian tyres look like re-treads.
    (Obviously they're not but they look like they have skin tags from and over-used mould!

When a bloke looks at his car pretty often a person gets to notice stuff, and..... I just thought these new tyres didn't look like the originals, I took images of the originals when I purchsased my car and to be honest I'm a bit concerned because these new tyres aren't the same.

Bit concerned that's all.

Plenty of you guys know about tyres but I always thought Bridgestone was made in Japan. I too have checked Wikipedia and also contacted Garth Middleton but surely dealers have the obligation to tell you where the tyres are made!

I want Japanese tyres not Indonesian crap!.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  15. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Japanese made products are one of the best if not the best in the world. The original Turanza spare on my VE was also made in Japan.
    If you want Japanese buy a Subaru. The tyre dealer doesn't need to tell you anything unless you ask.

16. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack

Cheers, thanks for your wise comments!

If you read my posts, I wanted the same tyres so that I could have the same outcomes.

I ordered Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V (OEM)

Do you know what OEM means greenacc?

If I order a particular tyre that's what I expect! A Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V (OEM) which..for an 2008 Commodore 60th is a Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V made in Japan.

Some of us like to keep our cars original!

H

17. aaronevolution

Members Ride:
    TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
    I don't think you get how it works. Holden don't ring Japan, and order 100,000 Bridgestone tires. They ring Bridgestone, and Bridgestone send them 100,000 tires from whichever factory has stock. Same goes for tire shops. Go and look at 100 different VE's and tell us if all of them have tires made in Japan.

18. CALAIS08V8

CALAIS08V8 Scott

Members Ride:
    Calais V V8 60th
    I wouldnt be concerned about the country of origin. Id be more concerned about the quality of the compound. There are some tyre companies that import tyres from countries whos stock is intended for countries other than Australia ,therefore they don't have to meet our standards.There are a lot of people who have experienced low usage/mileage with Potenzas made in countries other than Japan.

I think Holdfast totally understands how it works. He didn't buy them from Holden and they are not made in Japan ,and thus his concern.

19. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack
    Ditto +1

Cheers

20. Holdfast

Holdfast New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan Country Pack
    After further investigation, here's some additional information for those VE drivers who are thinking of buying new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245 x 45R18 tyres.

If like me, you want to buy the original Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245 x 45R18 96V tyres this may interest you.

Bridgestone make a number of tyres in 245/45R18 size the country of manufacture for each of them below:

Note where they are manufactured.

245/45R18 100Y (XL) Bridgestone S001 – Japan

245/45R18 96W Bridgestone RE050A – Europe

245/45R18 100V (XL) Bridgestone RE050A – Thailand

245/45R18 100W (XL) Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002 – Indonesia

245/45R18 100Y (XL) Bridgestone ER300 – Europe

245/45R18 100W (XL) Firestone TZ700 – Thailand

The S001 pattern is Bridgestones newest flagship performance tyre and is progressively replacing the existing flagship RE050A pattern.

The RE050A pattern is Bridgestones current ultra high performance tyre.

The RE002 is a replacement market (no Original Equipment (OE) fitments) high performance tyre

The ER300 is a touring tyres (refined, comfortable, quiet)

The TZ700 is a Firestone replacement market touring tyre.

While these products are manufactured in different plants in different countries, they still carry the Bridgestone brand and as such still need to comply with Bridgestone’s standards for performance and safety, and are obviously compliant with Australian Design Rules (ADR’s).

Hope this helps others. :beer chug: