Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Has anyone replaced the tyres on their VF Redline? I'm going to replace mine this weekend. I am tossing up between latest RE050 Potenza's (basically the same as factory but a minor increase in speed rating apparently and Conti's (same as Gen F HSV's I assume?) Conti's are on special (4 for the price of 3) i.e about $1250 for four. Bridgestone's will set me back about $1480. Has anyone tried the Conti's and can advise how they compare to the Bridgestone RE050's which I like? I will buy the Conti's if they handle (wet and dry), wear (longevity) and have similar noise characteristics (or better) than the Bridgy's. The Conti's are on sale until the end of May.

I would appreciate any comments on Bridgestone Vs Continental (or Redline tyres vs HSV tyres ;-)

Cheers

Last edited:

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
My rears have just about gone and will need changing soon.
How many km's have you done on yours?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
... I went from Potenza RE050s on my old SSV wagon to Conti's on the R8 Tourer

chalk and cheeses those 2... the Continentals are a 200% better tyre
better grip hot or cold quieter better steering feedback but they will have a shorter
life (mainly coz I do use the 340kw available to me in the R8 :) )

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
35K worn very evenly front and rear. Fronts probably have another 5,000 left in them, but why wait.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I am at 30k now and the rears will slip on a dry road. It won't be long for me either.

ozdrexler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I got 32k before I replaced mine. went with the RE050s again. Now done 15k on this set and I suspect they wont see 25k of use. :( Which sucks. Prolly got old stock put on.

R1bloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline Ute
I used tyresales.com for a set of tyres for my old vy ute. Chose a different brand than what I had on. Bought the same size but the different profile ment they rubbed as soon as I started driving. Changed them back straight away and called tyresales. They would not do anything because I had driven on them. Did less than a km to go round the block.

My advice is do not buy a different tyre than you are already using from them unless you know for sure you won't have any problems with width and rubbing. If you are buying the same tyres then they should be ok but might be old stock.you won't know till they get delivered. And the delivery was over a week after they quoted 2 days.

Overall. Not impressed with them.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
The continentals are a very grippy tyre, however my cousin only got 17,000ks out of his rears, the fronts lasted 23ks (VF Clubby). My brother has the contis on his E3 Clubby and the rears lasted 25k but are a different tyre to the VF model.

I'd stick to the Bridgestone's, I've currently clocked 35,000k's and my tyres (all of them) are still probly 5-6mm off the tread markers. They grip well and last long, I definitely wouldn't change to the contis, the tread is just way too soft.