Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
I don't know if you've considered this as it may be a little out of reach depending on budget:
Have two sets of wheels. Summer set (eg Michelin SSs) and Winter set (eg Kuhmos). This also makes tyre changeover less compacted as sets wear out.
Similar to how some treat the oil viscosity in their engine oil between warmer and colder seasons for cold start viscosity.
For me I can't have a summer set of tyres during winter on wet slippery city roads. And my winter set are slightly narrower to asset with water ejection when rainy roads are prevalent. No, I do not race in formula 1 in my car...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Funny that, took my car to Bob Jane on Saturday and they told me the same thing. "Sorry, but I won't have any more Contis until the end of July", a little annoying but he's looked after me. Giving me a set of the same Bridgestones re050a for $1280 fitted, can't complain about that!!

Seems rather strange...Bob Jane T-Marts around Adelaide got a sheet load of conti's delivered today.....Considering Adelaide is one of the last stops for stock, makes me wonder what they're upto in your neck of the woods.

They can also request a stock transfer, state to state....this takes a maximum of one week......

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Not that I need a new set of tyres on my 2 weeks old ute, (crossed my fingers as accidents do happen). On Tyresales.com Saw 245/40 R19 98Y Contisportcontact on sales at $540 each but buy 3 get 1 free, ie. $405 each. supplied and fitted.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Interesting, doubt they'd be doing anything below board.

They probably aren't interested in transferring small volumes like 4 tyres interstate given logistics cost and a probably already decretive margin from the 4 for 3 promo.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Any tyre store, that sells contis have the buy 3 and get the 4th free deal......

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
Running around on my track tyres ATM bit noisy but so much fun

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I've had lots of different tyres on lots of different cars over the years. I've recently installed some Michelin pilot super sports on my supercharged BMW 540/6m and these tyres are about the best compremise for dry grip/ wet grip / noise / wear.

I can get them in 245/45/18 which are 100 weight index so they will be going on my ute for this winter. I find the michelins and continentals lose less grip when they wear down. The cheaper Chinese brands actually have reasonable grip initially but when they wear down they start to get very slippery especially in the wet.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I have a set of Michelin PSS for the 3 series M Sport beemer. The G8 has them too. The easiest "suspension upgrade".

Roy2017SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Commodore
Has anyone replaced the tyres on their VF Redline? I'm going to replace mine this weekend. I am tossing up between latest RE050 Potenza's (basically the same as factory but a minor increase in speed rating apparently and Conti's (same as Gen F HSV's I assume?) Conti's are on special (4 for the price of 3) i.e about $1250 for four. Bridgestone's will set me back about $1480. Has anyone tried the Conti's and can advise how they compare to the Bridgestone RE050's which I like? I will buy the Conti's if they handle (wet and dry), wear (longevity) and have similar noise characteristics (or better) than the Bridgy's. The Conti's are on sale until the end of May.

I would appreciate any comments on Bridgestone Vs Continental (or Redline tyres vs HSV tyres ;-)

Cheers

Hi! Your post was 4 years ago - What did you go with, and what is/was the verdict?