Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have also discovered through my years in the trade, price is never ever an indication of quality.....I have struck mid price range tyres that have shat all over top dollar tyres in all areas.....This has come from consumer feedback, not personal feedback....
Additionally, everyone has a different opinion. Two people will swear THEIR tyre is better than the one the other person is claiming is best, despite both having the same level of experience with them.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Additionally, everyone has a different opinion. Two people will swear THEIR tyre is better than the one the other person is claiming is best, despite both having the same level of experience with them.
Happens a lot with the cheaper brands, people swearing that a Falken, Hankook, Kumho etc is better than a Bridgestone, Michelin or Pirelli etc. Other than price and perhaps faster wear rates, Michelin and Bridgestone are brands people rarely criticise tyre performance.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Happens a lot with the cheaper brands, people swearing that a Falken, Hankook, Kumho etc is better than a Bridgestone, Michelin or Pirelli etc. Other than price and perhaps faster wear rates, Michelin and Bridgestone are brands people rarely criticise tyre performance.

The main complaint I hear about Pirelli and Michelin are how quick they wear for the price.....Bridgestone the complaints range from wearing too quick for the money to truck they're noisy when they get the miles up on them......

Me personally have been using Kumhos for 10 years...Went from the KU 21, which was shite in the wet, to the KU22, with no complaints to PA51....The PA's have only been on my VY for a few months and so far so good....

I am still running KU 22's on my VC...Upto my 3 set with that pattern, however that has been discontinued, replaced by the PA 51.....IMA, my cars are dailies, driven around the city and out into the country...

On a couple of my Valiants I ran Hankooks......Never a problem...Main reason I went for them is, pricing for the size....235/60X14 and 245/60X14....Odd ball size these days....Didn't want to go for the Master craft because they are as noisy as shite, due to the tread depth and tread pattern..8MM tread depth and blocky tread pattern....

Falken...Haven't dealt with, other than punctures and replace with other brands....

So my insite

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I've never experienced excessive noise issues with Bridgestone, not like the OEM Dunlop's Ford used that were extremely noisy when half worn. My wife put a set of Hankook's on her VZ SS in 2007 and they were pretty good, nothing to complain about and wore reasonably well. We had a control race car R spec tyre switch in 2009 from Bridgestone to Kumho and that was a disaster. The Kumho's were slower than the Bridgestone's with delamination issues. After a couple blew Kumho's and went into the wall at Phillip Island, they canned them and went back to Bridgestone and with the perception of crap tyre construction, turned me off Kumho's in general albeit probably unfairly with their road car range in 2022.

I can't remember what version of Continental HSV used on their Gen F cars, but they were garbage tyres in the experience I had with them. I bought a 2015 Clubsport R8 from interstate with 6000km's early 2017 and my wife picked it up at the transport yard. I drove it around the block and looked over the car generally and it was still virtually brand new and dead stock. I put springs and shocks in it, lowered it and did a manual (accurate) wheel alignment on our race car setup hoist and drove it home and the car was all over the place, tramlined like a mongrel. 10 wheel alignments later and hours of time wasted changing wheel alignment settings, a set of Bridgestone S001's fixed it and transformed the car. I discovered this on a "tramlining thread" on the old HSV forum where the recommendation was ditch the OEM Conti's for a decent tyre! I wouldn't be game to try another Conti on a VF although there's newer versions today that many claim are extremely good tyres.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My point was more about how the bloke with the blue manual MY16 SSV-R sedan with the Bridgestone S12345's fitted will swear they're better than the Pirelli PZero Drago Expedia Sport Pluses that he had which weren't as good, and the bloke with the red manual MY16 SSV-R sedan with the Pirelli PZero Drago Expedia Sport Pluses will swear they're better than the Bridgestone S12345's he had which weren't as good.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like just another new member (Troll?) just trying to see how many posts he can get on a subject that has already been done to death many times. But like a vampire, keeps raising its ugly head from time to time (I actually think its full-moon at the moment as well).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've never experienced excessive noise issues with Bridgestone, not like the OEM Dunlop's Ford used that were extremely noisy when half worn. My wife put a set of Hankook's on her VZ SS in 2007 and they were pretty good, nothing to complain about and wore reasonably well. We had a control race car R spec tyre switch in 2009 from Bridgestone to Kumho and that was a disaster. The Kumho's were slower than the Bridgestone's with delamination issues. After a couple blew Kumho's and went into the wall at Phillip Island, they canned them and went back to Bridgestone and with the perception of crap tyre construction, turned me off Kumho's in general albeit probably unfairly with their road car range in 2022.

I can't remember what version of Continental HSV used on their Gen F cars, but they were garbage tyres in the experience I had with them. I bought a 2015 Clubsport R8 from interstate with 6000km's early 2017 and my wife picked it up at the transport yard. I drove it around the block and looked over the car generally and it was still virtually brand new and dead stock. I put springs and shocks in it, lowered it and did a manual (accurate) wheel alignment on our race car setup hoist and drove it home and the car was all over the place, tramlined like a mongrel. 10 wheel alignments later and hours of time wasted changing wheel alignment settings, a set of Bridgestone S001's fixed it and transformed the car. I discovered this on a "tramlining thread" on the old HSV forum where the recommendation was ditch the OEM Conti's for a decent tyre! I wouldn't be game to try another Conti on a VF although there's newer versions today that many claim are extremely good tyres.

Dunlops....Was working at a super dealer about 15 years ago and they were crap back then....I remember a big recall of factory fitted 17" Dunlops fitted to Falcons....Since that time frame, they have only gotten worse....

Contis...Speaking to a mate, he will sell another brand, other than a conti, even though he works for a mycar franchise, which is owned by conti.....So that speaks volumes for that brand

I did hear a rumour a few years back, 888 engineering used to use Kumhos as a test tyre for their main game cars, that were fitted with Dunlops for the races....

Brridgestone...When they start getting on in mileage, that's when the noise comes into play....The other complaint with them was some wore too quick for the price paid for them...ie the mileage didn't match the price....

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My point was more about how the bloke with the blue manual MY16 SSV-R sedan with the Bridgestone S12345's fitted will swear they're better than the Pirelli PZero Drago Expedia Sport Pluses that he had which weren't as good, and the bloke with the red manual MY16 SSV-R sedan with the Pirelli PZero Drago Expedia Sport Pluses will swear they're better than the Bridgestone S12345's he had which weren't as good.
You get those blokes and plenty like that at the race track. It's astounding the amount of racers outside the top 10 will argue their setup and equipment is better than the front runners despite blowing them into the next postcode!

Dunlops....Was working at a super dealer about 15 years ago and they were crap back then....I remember a big recall of factory fitted 17" Dunlops fitted to Falcons....Since that time frame, they have only gotten worse....
We had a few Falcon's, BA, BF and FG with Dunlop's and not only were they crap tyres in general, they were as dear as poison too if you wanted an OEM replacement. Noisy, crap in the dry and like ice skates in the wet!

I did hear a rumour a few years back, 888 engineering used to use Kumhos as a test tyre for their main game cars, that were fitted with Dunlops for the races....
Kumho changed the V8 Touring Car slick a few times with delamination and blowing tyres issues and in 2015 we ran a set of Supercar Dunlop's at Mallala in Sports Sedan races. We ended up frying the rear tyres and put a set of Kumho's on for the last race and the car was a second faster with much better traction out of corners than the Dunlop's. With the setup we had on the car, the Kumho's were better everywhere. In the end, Kumho got the Supercar slick working pretty well and was much cheaper than a Dunlop. I think the 3rd tier Supercars are on Dunlop's now racing at the main game meetings. We've got an old VZ Supercar with 17's 280/680 tyre size.